Vaillant help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got an ancient Vaillant combi-boiler (model VCW Sine 18 T3 WF H).

It's prob older than me, but we've never had any problems with it at all...

...until we get a card on our door from National Grid saying "sorry we missed you - we visted to exchange your gas meter". I have never requested this. We then find out that the pilot light on our boiler has gone out, although the gas supply (to our hob) is on.

I suspect that the NG man came whilst we were at work, fiddled with our gas meter (which is outside of our house) turned off our supply and then turned it back on again and this put out our pilot. Does this sound right?

Trouble is now cannot relight our boiler - can anyone please help?

We called NG who denied that the problem was anything to do with them - they claimed that it was just a co-incidence that our boiler stopped working on the same day as their visit!?!

NG said they would never fiddle with our gas or meter without someone being at home. However, you could clearly see that someone had been working on our meter.

Any thoughts as to how I can get my vaillant lit and what I can do about NG?

many thanks.

BTW - do I have the record for the oldest Vaillant?

Sponsored Links
If the meter was replaced, gas would have to be turned off to do this, pilot on the boiler would of course extinguish.

In this case the people who replaced the meter would have to ensure pilot is relit.

DP - thanks - the thing is the meter wasn't actually replaced.

I think the man from NG may have tried to replace the meter and switched off our gas even though nobody was home. It was only when I got home in the evening that I found out that boiler waan't working.

jez2007 said:
you could clearly see that someone had been working on our meter.

How? they may have just had a look. It takes all of 5 mins to swap a meter over then you need access to the property/aplliances.

I doubt they would have turned your gas off or touched your meter.

Sponsored Links
Push in and hold the green button twist the white igniter and it may light but vcw18 are that old now you will be lucky if igniter works. As the inner case then needs removing to light you will have to get someone in...

Even after your meter has been changed if the pilot doesn`t light the NG engineer doesn`t have to strip appliance to light it so you will have to get someone in again

I see from the Vaillant spares site they made that series 1977 - 1988. Still quite a few left.

rob884 said:
jez2007 said:
you could clearly see that someone had been working on our meter.

How? they may have just had a look. It takes all of 5 mins to swap a meter over then you need access to the property/aplliances.

I doubt they would have turned your gas off or touched your meter.

I know someone has been fiddling around my gas meter since it is in my neighbour's front garden which is somewhat overgrown and all the grass around my meter had been flattened.

It's true that I don't know for certain that NG turned off my gas or what, if any work, they may have done.

However, my boiler has worked without any problems for 3 years but on the day NG visits, the pilot light goes out. It is too much of a co-incidence to believe that the two are not connected.

namsag said:
Push in and hold the green button twist the white igniter and it may light but vcw18 are that old now you will be lucky if igniter works. As the inner case then needs removing to light you will have to get someone in...

Even after your meter has been changed if the pilot doesn`t light the NG engineer doesn`t have to strip appliance to light it so you will have to get someone in again

Thanks - tried this, but no spark at all. As you say, the igniter is probably gone.

ChrisR said:
I see from the Vaillant spares site they made that series 1977 - 1988. Still quite a few left.

ok, so my boiler isn't quite older than me!

Your boiler is old but still quite repairable.

NG would not change the meter unless someone is at home.

They might check that the meter is accessible and that there are no complications but that would not normally involve turning off the gas.

Its still your responsibility to keep your boiler sereviced regularly and in good working order which includes a working ignitor.

Tony

Thanks Tony - I do see that, as you say, it is my responsibilty to keep my boiler in good repair and with a working ignitor etc.

NG (and other people on this forum) said that NG would not normally do anything to a gas meter or turn off the gas unless the homeowner was present.

In my case, all I know is that my boiler was lit and working in the moring when I went to the office but was unlit and not working in the evening when I got home. While I was out, NG had visited.

I don't know what NG did, but whatever it was, I've got no doubt that this is the cause of my boiler going out.

NG have agreed to send someround round tonight, so hopefully they'll be able to fix it.

It is in fact the opposite. If NG have attended and cannot gain access to your property they HAVE to leave the gas turned off and the meter disced as they are supposed to relight, test and check your appliances before leaving, mainly to purge any possible air out of the gas pipes.

I should say that NG turned up without any appointment - apparently for meter exchange programme - not something I've asked for.

From what people are saying on this board, it seems that someting a bit strange has gone on in my case and proper proceedures haven't been followed by NG.

The plumber my wife spoke to said the same thing - ie that if NG turned off the gas they aren't then allowed to turn it back on unless they can access the property to make sure it is all safe and working.

What do you thing I should do/say to NG?

Best wait and see what happens with their visit tonight before worrying about what to do.

NG man just turned up and left after 15 minutes without fixing our boiler - he told us that he wasn't allowed to open the boiler up (maybe not CORGI?). So all he did was try to ignite it from the switch which we had aleady tried.

Will just have to fork out for an emergency plumber now, I think.

Annnoyed at NG, who don't seem to take any responsibilty...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back