LPG GAS PIPE SIZE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are having an extension built and will be running the heating from LPG which is being installed with the extension.
We will be using a Gazco heater (heat input 3.65 kW) and also will be running a pipe though to the ceiling above our kitchen to serve a gas oven and hob which we plan to install later. I know LPG is not cheap to run but we are all electric, have no mains gas and need a back up in case of power cuts.
The installation will be done by a CORGI (or latest equivalent) fitter and is covered by a building warrant etc.
The pipes will be copper, the size is not mentioned on the building warrant but I understand from our builder that the 'gas man' will be using 15mm pipe. I am wondering if this will be adequate for all three units (heater, oven and hob).
The LPG bottles will be sited about 8m from the building (we can't put any closer because of boundary/openings/access issues) , the Gazco heater is on the outside wall of the extension and the pipe run from the outside wall to the kitchen is about 7m.
Would appreciate any advice.
Also the pipe is going up the outside of a rendered stone wall - I believe they are going to run in alcathene, are there any other precautions you'd suggest to protect the pipe.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Without having done any calculations I would expect that 15 mm will be adequate for those loads but in any case the registered installer should take care of the pipe sizing.

I am surprised that you dont take the opportunity to have a full LPG CH system. Whilst it depends on your exact electricity tarriff and its possible that you get a good NOSHEB price that makes LPG a too costly option.

Tony Glazier

Hi all,

15mm is the normal size for what you (the registered gas enginner) is installing. A second stage regulator will be on the outside wall. I would reiterate what tony commented on, and ask why not go for full LPG Central Heating as well ;)

To be fair, the size of pipe work shouldn't concern you, as the survey prior to installation should be done in a competent manner, unless there is concerns for the cosmetic finish in the extension.

Thanks for the comments and reassurance that 15mm pipe should be adequate - someone had mentioned that 15mm would be too small so obviously I started to worry.
Had never really considered LPG central heating - had always thought it would be very expensive to run (also I would expect bulk gas deliveries to the island wouldn't be cheap either). I will though look into it, perhaps it could be our next project.......!

Sponsored Links
someone had mentioned that 15mm would be too small
Might be too small for Natural Gas. Pipesizing for NG/LPG is a totally different ball game.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back