Potterton 28i not starting - Advise pleae

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have bought a house and got the keys yesterday. I tried to start the boiler but it is showing flame failure fault. It was working when I viewed the property. The seller has left behind BG annual service record dated August that shows all ok. The property would have been empty from mid September until yesterday.

When I try to switch on the power, only the power light comes on and after few seconds the flame failure light starts flashing. The reset didn’t work initially. After some attempts, the boiler tries to fire up on reset but gets immediately cut off. The hot water light starts flashing. After few seconds the fan failure light starts flashing. After few seconds gap the fan failure light stops and the flame failure light starts flashing again. There also appears to be some small leakage within the boiler.

Not sure what my options are with respect to the seller or BG. Is this something which can be easily checked and fixed or do I need to get in an Engineer.

Any advise would be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Dan

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your quick responses. The gas is on at the meter as the gas hob is working fine. I can’t see any other isolation point near the boiler.

The Tenent who used to live there came around today but also couldn’t help She was not aware of any problem as such.

There is definitely some leak in the boiler itself. Will try to locate tonight. But the problem may be elsewhere.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Will check tonight. Is there an obvious location to find it?

Where the gas pipe meets the boiler there will be an isolation valve ,forms part of the fitting that the pipe joins onto.

Edit ,you may need an adjustsble spanner to open it ,if its been closed.

Last edited:
Thanks for the spanner tip. The gas cock was open. I closed it and opened it again but no luck.

Any more thoughts/ideas.

Last edited:
Hi all

Update from yesterday. I thought to use the good old hair dryer trick which I have used on a Vaillant pcb in past before calling a potentially costly engineer in. The boiler fired up after couple of attempts but went back to fault mode as soon as hot water demand was made. Couple of attempts later it responded to central heating demand. Lasted about 5 minutes and then went to fault mode again once hot water demand was made.

Eventually got it to respond to central heating demand and didn’t risk hot water for good 12 hours until the whole house has warmed up. Tried hot water late at night and that worked too. So far so good .

Thanks for your guidance and support through this cold and stressful period.

Regards
Dan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back