Engineer Replaced Parts On Potterton - Still Faulty - SOS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just spent £300 on a repair for a HW fault on my Performa 24HE combi. The problem still persists, although it seemed OK until the engineer left. Diaphragm and heat exch. replaced.

This is a follow-on from a post about this fault I made a few days ago. If I give the symptoms, can someone give me some idea of the fault?

The symptoms are;

With boiler control on hw only, I run the hw tap for approx 5 mins. The water is hot to start, then cools a bit, then starts running cold. When it runs cold, the flame failure flashes, and burner on light extinguishes. The flame failure light keeps flashing for a while, then the boiler tries to start, and the burner on light comes in for a few seconds, before going out again and the flame failure light starts flasing again.

This boiler keeps going like this then, flame failure flashing for a minute or two, boiler tries to start, then back to flame failure, whilst no hw during this.

I then turned the control to hw and ch, but the flame failure just keeps flashing. If I reset the boiler, then turn knob back to hw and ch, then the ch comes on and the hot taps work for a while.

This problem, which my engineer seems to be running out of ideas for is driving me nuts.

Any ideas gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
Has he checked the venturi in the fan and what colour are the ntcs? Also what is the condense trap like - (clean and not backing up)?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your help, really appreciated. Sounds like one thing I can check, and a few suggestions for the engineer. He's starting to struggle with it, and won't be back 'til Wednesday.

By the way, what are ntcs?

Keep the suggestions coming.

ntc = temperature sensor - the later ones were white. Any other colour and I would suggest changing them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back