potterton 40e main burner not coming on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help i recently drained the radiators to change a small amount of pipe work it was corroding,filled the system back up bled all rads tried to put the heating on ,the main burner came on for a couple of min then went back on to the pilot light (,its an conventional system indirect water )i put the thermstat on full and full heat on the boiler still no joy ,changed the pump as it did sound dodgy also the thermocoupler but still no good.The only thing i noticed was when the boiler did come on full the pipes sounded like when a kettle boiling but no water in it any ideas

Sponsored Links
Sounds like there isnt enough water in system after you partially drained it. I suspect either an air lock or blocked cold feed pipe.
Search the forum and there is plenty of advice on them both.

i have a problem with one radiator ,the others work fine ,just the down stairs rad its stone cold .i checked the pipes to it and they were cold to .i fully opened the lock valves and bled the rad and after a few miniutes doing it just the left hand pipe going to the rad gets warm .Do i carry on bleeding the rad or could it be blocked the other side causing it not to flow through ?

Sponsored Links
turn all the other rads off so it's just the affected one open. If it's air locked to that rad it should clear it

it sounds like system still airlocked.first thing to try now is to shut off all your other rads and just leave the problem radiater on ,it then should push through and start circulating again,once hot ,open up your other rads

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back