potterton 50e not firing up. Heeeelp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Drained my CH system down. Placed a cleaner into system.However, I am unable to get the cleaner to flow through the system as it will not come on.

Now the boiler will not fire. I think this may have something to do with a lack of water or an air block in the boiler.

There is water in the vent tank. As far as I am aware I have bled all the rads. I am at a loss at the moment.

Tried to find the reset switch on the boiler but failed. The boiler did come on for about 5 minutes after I refilled the system the first time, then there is a humming mechanical sound as if something is trying to run.

Any help. I do not like being a smelly dog due to no hot water or shower. :cry:

Sponsored Links
What do you mean?

I thought the pump was off because the system was not functioning. You will have to expand what you mean. As far as I am aware the pump has and did worked when the system fired up the one time

Looking for advice on how to overcome this problem andlocate thereset button on the Potterton 50e boiler.

Bottom right under the boiler there is a hole, finger size in tray. Insert digit, press reset button.

Sponsored Links
You are right on. It has fired up now. This lasted for about 5mins. then the burners went off. I have turned the system off in order to provide some thinking time. any ideas please. thanks anyway for the location of the reset.

Have you bled the pump? If pump isnt functioning then the water wont circulate. Boiler quickly reaches temp and cuts out..... Whilst pump may be 'working' it may not neccessarily be circulating any water.

Thanks. I think you are again on the money. I have uploaded a pic of the pump.

What is the best way for me to bleed this puppy?
I feel a little better after you input.

I can see the light ahead of me and it seems to be warm.

large silver srew in centre of front of pump. cloth To catch any spillage.

Just loosen it or take out fully, depends on how much water issues forth, they seem to differ. don't worry tho it will not normally flood you out.

Drained the pump. It came on for about 3 minutes. Then the burners went off. I am now concerned. Any other fault finding tips for me to look into.

Could be any number of possibilities. Poor pipework layout encouraging entrapped air, blockage to cold feed.

Blockage to cold feed would be my first guess as worth investigation. Purely on probabilities mind.

DIY is good for the soul but sometimes its wiser to know when to stop. Is it worth contacting a local craftsman who knows what there doing?

If you are going to continue to try then probably best to turn the boiler of at the boiler stat to stop tripping the limit stat, until you have water circulating correctly.

good luck

Is there a manual air bleed on the Hot Water 'Flow' into the cylinder. If so, have you bled it?

Mr. W.

Bled the drain pipe from the cylinder tank for a good minute. Water flowed freely. Ensured that all taps were open on tank. The system fired up for three minutes and then cut off.

I guess it is this thermal cut off. Still looking for that magic answer that leads me to the system firing and staying up.

Thanks to all that have posted so fr. You have led me closer to the solution each time. Thanks all. A few more pushes and we will have this beat.

Bet you wish you had gotten someone in now. You definitely will by Sunday night :LOL: :LOL:

dont know if this will help, but could be your circuit board?
my potterton started cutting out every now and again, then got worse till it wouldn't turn on. found help on this forum. it was the solder on the board cracking. i know yours stopped working after you messed with it but that could be just a coincidence?. to fix it you take out the board and check with magnifying glass to find cracks, then heat up a soldering iorn and just touch the cracks. takes about an hour. hope this helps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back