Potterton profile 50e not firing up.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Potterton Netaheat Profile 50E
Hello,
I’m having trouble with the above boiler not firing up.
What’s happening is; the fan starts for a few seconds then there’s a click from the bottom of the boiler.
All goes quite for a second or two, then the fan starts again for a few seconds then the click, silent and so on till it does eventually fire, it has got progressively worst over time. Till this morning it took about a hour to fire up.
From reading posts here I’m guessing the PCB needs replacing.
I have had the shroud of the bottom and taken the screw out and lowered the control plate/panel,
To change the PCB ( part number 407677) looks pretty straight forward to change apart from at the back of the PCB a wire goes up into the boiler and connects to the electrode, this wire looks like it crimped onto the PCB?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
i have taken the front cover/door off and replaced it.
I have just read a reply to a post about the same boiler, that said it should be check to see if its leaking carbon monoxide from the seals.
Have i got this right?
Im getting in a right state now.
Thanks

Seeing as you have decided to take your boiler apart yourself, I would buy and install a good quality CO alarm in the room your boiler installed.

You dont need to take the cover off to inspect / replace the PCB.

The air pressure switch is another likely candidate, but I would advice your get your CORGI man in to adjust or replace if its faulty. More often than not its the PCB though.

David

This is the classic PBC fault on these...PBC will cure.

As for the combustion cover leaking, potterton do allow a tolerence on this boiler for the top two corners leaking. it was a design fault which the newer ones have had sorted. Potterton say its ok.

Sponsored Links
I had this problem once on our profle before it was removed,i only hope this new boiler lasts as long as it did.I found it would not fire due to crud/muck/**** in the brass filter in the air tubes to the a.p.s.Might not be but its worth a look.

Harrogate r u seriously saying that u r allowed to leak products of combustion into the room. i would class as immediatly dangerous and cap off.

It would be almost entirely fresh air, but yes with just a little bit of pocs which would be taken back into the air intake.
My corgi man told me the same about there being a tolerance on what "room sealed" means when I asked him about eg all Neatheats leaking a bit through the grommets.

But yes dice - now you've disturned the seals you don't know where you are with leaks into the room. If they're bad enouh it affects combustion, and the boiler produces carbon monoxide, so the boiler sucks in CO and spills it into the room. Netaheats have killed folk that way.

at least the profile will not inginte until a tight case seal has been achieved.

Thays why the netaheats did their damage

But I would never advocate DIYers working on positive pressure boilers.

David

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back