Potterton 60e problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The boiler flame cuts out - probably due to water temp as usual - fan stays on,then will not come on again and goes cold, but the water pump and water solenoid vaves remain open (ie power is there). When the programmer is advanced to off and then turned on again the boiler fires up. The period that the flame is on varies - and to complicate matters the fault is intermittent, sometimes the boiler does fire up on its own as it cools. Could it be a pilo light ignition problem.
(An 'engineer' came and diagnosed a circulation problem and changed the water pump, but no improvement!!!)

Sponsored Links
Call him back!

Never pay anyone who has not fixed your problem!

Make it clear before he comes that you want a No fix-No fee. That sorts the men from the boys!

Tony

Agile said:
Call him back!

Never pay anyone who has not fixed your problem!

Make it clear before he comes that you want a No fix-No fee. That sorts the men from the boys!

Tony

Good advice! But what about the problem? Intermittent start up - gas goes off - fan stays on- boiler goes cold. Switch off power - boiler sometimes fires up immediately - sometimes the pilot lights - the main burner stutters with accompanying metallic 'rattles' and then fails to stay on. All these symptoms are intermittent and just to confuse the issue this morning it has fired up per programme and stayed on for the first time for a week!! A Corgi gas engineer is coming this morning. (A different one because I dont think the first one 'had a clue'!)

the main burner stutters with accompanying metallic 'rattles' and then fails to stay on. All these symptoms are intermittent
Thats a classic Potterton PCB problem. If you can remove the PCB and follow back the supply to the gas coil until you get to the switch on the board for it (will look like a large transistor), my money would be on a dry solder joint on that device. But if your Corgi man is here and has sussed that, he will fit you a new PCB no doubt.

Sponsored Links
The part that powers the gas valve is more likely to be a relay and be in a rectangular plastic sealed box about 25 mm along one side.

So far I cannot even work out which Potterton 60E !

What does your crystal ball tell you?

Tony

Agile said:
The part that powers the gas valve is more likely to be a relay and be in a rectangular plastic sealed box about 25 mm along one side.

So far I cannot even work out which Potterton 60E !

What does your crystal ball tell you?

Tony

Thanks for interest. The very able (Gas board trained) Corgi engineer initially thought it might be the air pressure switch and cleaned the 'nozzles', then waited and the fault occured (stuttering main gas valve) diagnosed faulty main gas vavle solenoid and replaced it. He said wait for a week and if Ok tell us and we'll invoice. If not solved I'll refit solenoid and then find out what the problem really is. So far all is working OK - seems a good result!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back