Potterton boiler - CH but no HW

Oh dear :cry: I never had a reason to check the fuse before. Perhaps I will have to look again at the cylinder stat. Is there anything else that could have shorted?

The pump is working, the call for just CH works, the timer works and the boiler thermostat works. Hopefully there isn't anything else. Oh, maybe the room stat, but I'll check that.

Best wishes
Jonquil

Sponsored Links
If the boiler fires and everything else is operating you may be lucky and its just the valve.

With fuses - in any appliance it is vital to have the smallest one that keeps it working. A large fuse will mean the appliance fries if there is a surge/short/problem.

A lot of people assume a bigger fuse is better. It is the exact opposite. For some reason everybody buys 13 amp fuses as spares. They should have 3 and 5 amps. Only heat generating appliances need 13amps. Nearly everything else will happily run on 3 possibly 5 amps. Even TV's.

Yes, if I'd had the right fuse I realise none of this would have happened. At least the first short circuit should only have blown the fuse. I still need to find out what caused it.

I'd better go round checking the rating of all other fuses in the house.

Blame the ex!!

Jonquil

Sponsored Links
Just think - if it wasn't for the ex I wouldn't have learnt so much about plumbing!! Thanks to all you lovely guys out there.
I'll be back when I've had a go at the plumbing myself.
Goodnight
:D :D :D :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back