potterton boiler, condenser outlet pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a Potterton Promax 15 HE condenser boiler, and the pipe that drains the condensate from the condenser trap is missing (long story short: stepdad fitted new kitchen and threw away original pipe connected through old worktop!). The water has been draining into a bowl kept underneath since then, which I empty regularly. I've had 2 BGas service inspections in the 2 yrs who commented on the missing pipe but merely to say 'you should get that replaced'.

Last w/e I had another prob with the boiler (air in the system causing the heat exchanger to be extremely noisy) so BG came out (covered by service agreement) and repaired that, saw the missing pipe, made a phone call (like the 2 prev engineers before him) and decided it was too dangerous to leave and so has isolated the supply to my boiler leaving me with no hot water or heating!! Luckily have elec shower upstairs and d.washer / w.machine both run off cold supply only.

BG estimated £200 to source and replace pipe, but when I called Potterton to get the part # to buy it myself, they said it's not a specific part, can be bought from ANY plumbcentre. Even the whole condenser trap kit (which ISN'T missing) is only £32!!!

My quandry now having seen a few old posts about where the pipe should drain to. The original just went into my waste outlet (same as d.washer and w.machine in my under-sink cupboard). Is this OK??? BTW, it was BGas that fitted the original boiler 5yrs ago and ran the pipe into the waste outlet so if that isn't correct then I need to start shouting at them to get them to take responsibility for fitting it wrong in the first place...

Sponsored Links
This is one of the many, many posts showing the abominable standards of ****ish gas.

I don't know the spec of this boiler by heart, so can't tell if the missing condensate pipe really is an issue for this model or not; for some it is, for others it isn't.
One thing is certain though: either the two service"engineers" missed a vital issue and left you in danger for 2 years, or the last one cut you off without due reason and is trying to charge you £200 for installing a bit of pipe that he most likely had in the van as it is bog-standard and cost approximately 50 pence, and would only have taken a few minutes to connect. He was already there, and paid for in advance. All he would have had to charge you for is £10 labour and £1 pound in materials, and you would not have been left inconvenienced. Yet he chose to cut off your heating and hot water, and quote you £200.

Am I far off guessing that you have paid around £600 over the past few years to have your boiler covered?
On top of paying BG some 2000 pounds only a couple of years ago for putting the new boiler in, would be my guess.
I would start looking for another company if I were you.

I don't want to get into the whole 'british gas' saga. In my opinion a missing condensate pipe which allows potentially poc's to enter your living space is AR at risk and the boiler should have been switched off.

What your missing is that your step dad caused the problem. Yes it's not a big deal just do the work yourself or get your step dad back.......complain about getting conflicting advice from BG but not about the quote........

...In my opinion a missing condensate pipe which allows potentially poc's to enter your living space is AR at risk ...
It really depends on the model of the boiler. WB should have 75 mm seal, Viessmanns you can just hang the pipe just in the sink if you want. Technically speaking that is, client might not be too impressed when you actually do it. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Bengasman thanks for advice and yes you're right about the costs paid so far to BG...
Powell I can't ask my stepdad because he's had a few strokes since last year and his workmanship is not so good anymore!! Plus he's not Corgi registered and even though I will do the pipe myself, I need someone Corgi Reg'd to switch the gas back on.

I accept that it was not BG's fault the pipe is missing and am therefore happy to pay for it to be replaced, BUT... if I, or an independent Gas engineer, can do the job for a few pounds, the boiler manufacturer has already confirmed the part is not specific to them or the boiler; why should I not complain about a £200 quote?!

I have already complained to BG when they made a courtesy call to ask my opinion on the standard of service after my call-out. The woman asking didn't have a clue and merely agreed that I should do the job myself!!! (I'm female too BTW...) When I queried about the conflicting advice (this eng did say about the emissions, which the prev 2 didn't, despite both having to phone and ask someone else) she said the same - 2 prev engs were wrong; which doesn't leave me with anymore faith in BG anyway, but seemed to think this was excusable and nothing worth complaining about :confused:
Anyway, looks like a trip to the plumbcentre for some pipe is my next step...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back