Condensate, trimming flexible pipe on boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a couple of quick questions, am I allowed to work on a condensate pipe or do you have to be an RGI?

I have just got a condensing tumble drier and want to plumb the water outlet into a drain, the tumble drier is sited under the boiler as can be seen in the picture. What I want to do it 'tap' into the drain that services the condensate pipe on the left, can I trim the black flexible pipe back so I extend the white plastic drain pipe to a some sort of Y piece so I can connect the boiler and the tumble drier to the drain?

cheers for any thoughts.

Attachments

• IMG_2490.JPG
    IMG_2490.JPG
    181.7 KB · Views: 345
Sponsored Links
Yes that's fine although the easiest way would be to cut into the white drainage pipe about 4" below the top of the dryer then use a tee to go sideways and an elbow to point it back up to take the dryer hose.

Yes that's fine although the easiest way would be to cut into the white drainage pipe about 4" below the top of the dryer then use a tee to go sideways and an elbow to point it back up to take the dryer hose.
Cheers, the simplest ways are the best, don't know why I didn't think of that.

How would I know what size pipe it is? is it likely to be 21.5mm over flow pipe, its pushed into 22mm clips and then runs about 1.5 metres and joins with a larger grey soil pipe from the sink with a reducing T.

Sponsored Links
It'll have the size printed on it, and probably stamped into the fittings as well

It'll have the size printed on it, and probably stamped into the fittings as well
I've just checked and there no markings at all on the pipe or the fittings, they're just glued together. I take it you cant get 22mm plastic pipe (designed for water) with glued fittings? if so I can assume its 21.5mm overflow.

Has a trap been considered in this modification to prevent smells from escaping the drainage system, or am I missing something?

Has a trap been considered in this modification to prevent smells from escaping the drainage system, or am I missing something?

Didn’t think I’d need one as the condensate outlet pipe I’d be cutting into would already have the trap in the boiler and the other side where the smaller pipe t’s into the sink soil pipe is at the exterior wall and the pipe only protudes about 6 inch through to the outside wall where it’s discharged into an open grid so I assume and smell would exit here rather than travel a few metres back up the condensate pipe.

Didn’t think I’d need one as the condensate outlet pipe I’d be cutting into would already have the trap in the boiler and the other side where the smaller pipe t’s into the sink soil pipe is at the exterior wall and the pipe only protudes about 6 inch through to the outside wall where it’s discharged into an open grid so I assume and smell would exit here rather than travel a few metres back up the condensate pipe.

Then it's been "considered", which was not detailed in your OP. (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back