condenate drain from condensing boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Just wondering if....................

the condensate in the drain pipe from my boiler freezes and the condensate backs up will this cause damage to the boiler.

Should I be trying to thaw the drain pipe and ensure this can not happen?

Sponsored Links
not normally damage the boiler, but will stop working...so yes make sure it can run away

Depends on the boiler make , on some it will back up into the heat exc , the boiler will not work , but it can leak out of the heat exc onto electrics , possibly ??

Do steamers normally have a "dripper" in the drain pipework? One of those little in-line wotsits where you can see the water dripping out? Or are they simply plumbed straight into the pipework?

All this talk about freezing condensate drains has made me certain that when I get my boiler done next year, I'm having mine either pumped or run internally to the bathroom basin drain. Hate the sight of badly run condensate drains snaking around the sides of houses anyway. They look 5h1t and in this weather its just stupidity. All the LA houses round here have them run like that.

Sponsored Links
if it gets cold enough the drain can freeze no matter what you do with the condensate run.

running it inside will give you far less chance of a frozen drain/condensate of course but it's not foolproofing it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back