Condensate drain Soak away

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had an unvented CH system boiler replaced. The new boiler is a Vaillant 430.
This new boiler required a new condensate drain installing as the previous Glow Worm Boiler did not require a condensate drain. The installer, quite rightly, piped the condensed drain into a storm drain Down pipe which is located about 4 metres away from where the condensate pipe emerged from the wall. The only problem I have with this is that the resulting sloping Pipe which is insulated, is very unsightly. The wall along which it traverses has a gravelled path at the bottom of the wall. If the condensate pipe was repositioned to be a Vertical drop down to this gravelled area it would be much less unsightly, then I think the amount of condensate generated by the boiler will be so small it would be easily dispersed in this gravelled area.
Has anyone any advice with regard to this suggestion.

Sponsored Links
A soakaway needs to be located at least 5m away from the house.
Dumping condensate or any other waste water into a gravel path next to the house is not an option.

Is the amount of Condensate generated by these boilers sufficient to be a problem. My house was built 20 years ago and there is a similar soak away for the excess water dumped via a tundish from the CH system and the amount of water dumped from this discharge would seem to be around 2 or 3 litres week and as such similar to that probably generated by the new Boiler. This is the reason behind my thinking.

Sponsored Links
if you mean that the tundish is on the pressure releif pipe work from the boiler then you have a fault , there shouldnt be any water coming from there , it is a safety device and only operates under over pressure situations

There are about 4 discharges into this tundish and for years I have tried to identify the culprit. I have had various plumbers look for the source without success. Clearly there are pressure relief situations happening but try as I might the source remains mystery. I suspect it is a 'passing' relief valve.

Reply to ianmcd. The 4 discharges to the Tundish to which I refer are :-
1. From a Combination Valve.
2. From a pressure relief Valve directly from the Hot Water Cylinder
3. From a relief valve which has the System Pressure gauge connect.
4. A vent from the expansion chamber,
This system was pre-piped by the Manufacturers Gledhill/Accolade, I therefore suggest that they know what they are doing so your comment of this being a No No arrangement is a little odd as the manufacturers piped it up !!!!!!
Never the less this is not really the point of my initial posting - all I wanted comments on is the suggestion I have of allowing the condensate discharge from my new condensing boiler to drain into a gravelled area.

up to you what you do, you know what the regulations state, if you just want to discharge it onto your chips feel free the condensate police wont be chapping your door, see hundreds if not thousands like that, doesnt meet the regs will it do any harm ? doubt it

FWIW Whilst renovating, I've been running my condensing combi into a bucket, on a very cold day, it will fill an 11 litre bucket, I was surprised how much water is given off.

A boiler can produce a litre of condensate an hour when working hard, that amount of water will not do the foundations of your house any favours, hence why it has been connected to a drain. If the pipework is causing that much of an issue, I would look at running new underground pipework from the existing rainwater position to a suitable point where the condensate pipe can drop straight into it.

Well I hope that this is not correct ...
A soakaway needs to be located at least 5m away from the house

and that this is correct....
not true its 500 mm away from the house wall

When I get around to it, I am expecting this from the fitter...
https://mcalpineplumbing.com/traps/condensate-traps-and-fittings/soak1gr-soakaway

which shows this....
soakgr-install.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back