Condensate boiler drain....illegal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a quick question our neighbours have I believe a condensate boiler as a drain line has appeared in the shared passage way between our houses,the drain is above head height and what comes out runs down their window and wall,if this is is this illegal as I know the condensate can be acidic.
Shouldn't it be piped away ?

Sponsored Links
Is the water coming from a plastic 22mm overflow pipe or a 15mm copper pipe? If plastic then it MUST exit to a plastic covered drain or tee into a plastic waste, or into a purpose built soakaway, no other choices are acceptable. if condensate it cause I white stain to appear and the installer must come back and change it or it can be reported to the gas safe council found on there web site. If 15mm pressure discharge pipe running down the wall then nothing is wrong.

Sponsored Links
Yes it's 15mm copper pipe ,it's enclosed passage way pipe comes out of ceiling close to wall it has 90 degree bend in it facing their wall but its way above head height and condensate runs down window/wall,I thought being possibly acidic it wouldn't be allowed to terminate so high up and just run freely down wall

if it's the prv pipe it shouldn' be terminated above a window either

Yes it's 15mm copper pipe ,it's enclosed passage way pipe comes out of ceiling close to wall it has 90 degree bend in it facing their wall
that is not a condensate pipe, it is a pressure relief valve pipe. Nothing should be coming out of it.

then your neighbours have a problem with your boiler. Probably they have left the filling loop connected and it is overfilling. It probably also needs a new PRV.

I think it could also be their expansion vessels gone/undercharged if PRV doesn't pass all the time :mrgreen:

If the OP can get them to post on here, we could help them sort out their boiler, and he could have a dry passageway. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back