Boiler Condensate Outlet Pipe siting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We recently had some new neighbours move in and they had new GCH fitted. At the time I didn't think much of it but they installed a run of gas pipe on the outside wall in the alleyway between our two (terraced) houses. I guess this takes the gas main from the cellar to the new boiler upstairs. There is also a white plastic condensate pipe that runs vertically down the same wall and stops about an inch or two from the ground.

When we recently had some workmen in, they said that it was illegal not to have your condensate pipe terminating in a drain? This seems sensible, as the alleyway is generally in complete darkness and the path is now always damp as the condensate is just seeping into the ground. I can't imagine it's doing much good to our adjacent cellar walls either.

So has their boiler been fitted illegally or are there some boilers that say it's OK to not route the condensate pipe to a drain?

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure if that is a practical option as it's a shared alley between two houses, so only about 3 feet wide (just enough to get the wheelie bin in and out)

The dimensions on that soakaway schematic says the pipe has to be 1000mm from the wall (a metre? I guess they mean 100mm!) and the soakaway hole will be 180mm wide. I'm pretty sure that would obstruct access. I'm already paranoid about cracking their gas pipe in the dark when I'm putting the bin out!

I have to admit I don't really get what a soakaway offers that their current situation doesn't? What I'm mostly worried about is the damp in our walls where the condensate isn't being discharged to a pipe drain

Condensate soakaway should be a minimum of 500mm from any foundations, with the holes in the soakaway pointing away from the said foundations.

Is there any way to get them to re-route it out of the alley?

If not politely tell them it is against regs an their installer should have put a condensate pump in, to pump it to a more suitable drainage point.

Apart from anything else, dont forget that it will freeze in winter and be dangerous for you to walk on.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Pointing the soakaway away from their foundations will point it directly at our foundations!

I guess they could re-route it out of the alleyway and round the back of their house, but it will be a much much longer run.

Oh and did I mention the condensate pipe isn't lagged either!

I basically wanted to check before I raise it with them that it is definitely an incorrect installation..

If it is 32mm waste pipe, which it should be for condensate pipe outside, it does not have to be lagged.

If it is overflow pipe, then it does need to be lagged, with mitred joins on any 90d bends.

That's a good point actually - I haven't looked for an overflow pipe. It should have one right?

Not sure - I'll have to check..

If it's the overflow pipe, would that be OK to drain to the floor?

its not a overflow pipe its the condensate pipe.
which you can use overflow pipe or 32mm etc as a condensate pipe.

Soakaway in the alley will almost surely give you a damp problem.

If the flue is also in the alleyway, prolonged condensate blowing against your sidewall is likely to cause problems as well.

Is there a little bit of 15 mm copperpipe sticking out of the wall?
If that is not done right, and the boiler starts blowing off, you could get a nice squirt of boiling water in your face.

1st thing i would do is go and see neighbours with the facts which are

Condensate has to go to drain or soak away which is min 1000mm from foundations (this changed last year) . Therefore the installation doesn`t comply with building regulations .

You are rightly concerned about the effects of the condensate on your property and want to highlight this fact to them as they may no be aware that the installation does not comply . And you want to give them the oportunity to get the installer back to rectifiy the issue before you go to the council and the gas safe register .

. For your info condensate can run externally in 40mm pipework for max 3 meter , 3/4 or 21.5mm waste pipe in not usually allowed to be run externally becasue of freezing issues .

There are exceptions for example the condensate waste could be pump from a condensate waste pump , this could solve the issue of termination which you have .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back