Condensate Soak away advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just had my old boiler replaced with a Vaillant eco tec 28, the boiler is in the bedroom, I don't have a drain outside to take the condensate away, the heating eng has run a pipe down the wall, dug a hole put some lime chipping in and Buried the pipe in the ground, I told him wasn't there a cylinder to go in the ground, but said it would be ok the way it was, can you please advise.

Sponsored Links
It shouldn't be like that, a sleeve should be used.

won't the end of the pipe get blocked up, if its buried in the ground? one of my friends said it should be 500mm away from the wall and going in to a cylinder with lime chippings, he said it the law,

yes it should be a min of 500mm away and yes you can buy the soak away container but there is no regulation that I am aware of that says you have to use such a container, the lime chips just neautralise the acid in the condensate discharge

Sponsored Links
yes it should be a min of 500mm away and yes you can buy the soak away container but there is no regulation that I am aware of that says you have to use such a container, the lime chips just neautralise the acid in the condensate discharge

The condensate pipe goes strait in to the ground right next to my house wall,
is there a regulation to say is has to be 500mm away from the wall? I can see me having to do this myself.

the lime neutralizes the acid, but I do think it's supposed to be in a container though.

Thanks for your help, my understanding it is a building regulation that the condensate soak away has to be 500mm away from the wall going in ti lime chipping, I'll be phoning the plumber to get it sorted.

Im sure if you approach your installer with your concerns he/she will be happy to move it, be aware though that the very helpfull links that have been posted are GUIDANCE notes and not regulations of any sort, I have installed a few and bought the available kit but I know some installers who use a cutting of 4" drain pipe and drill holes in it, there are various methods of doing this, the pipe running down your wall will still go straight into the ground the horizontal part that takes the soakaway 500mm away from the house is run below ground.

Im sure if you approach your installer with your concerns he/she will be happy to move it, be aware though that the very helpfull links that have been posted are GUIDANCE notes and not regulations of any sort, I have installed a few and bought the available kit but I know some installers who use a cutting of 4" drain pipe and drill holes in it, there are various methods of doing this, the pipe running down your wall will still go straight into the ground the horizontal part that takes the soakaway 500mm away from the house is run below ground.
the pipe goes strait down. I didn't tell when he drilled the the hole for the condensate pipe he drilled through the to next doors house, ok a mistake but he was going leave it as it was until I said I wouldn't sign it off, he is a contractor for Britisg gas look at photo
58000_57319_73024_39759644_thumb.jpg
58000_57319_73023_20637648_thumb.jpg
58000_57319_73022_31479088_thumb.jpg

One correct link - mod 12

But the jobs not for BG so a bit irrelevant??

It should be 500mm away from the house. the reason for using a proper soakaway or bit of soil pipe is to have the holes on the side facing away from the house ;)

Razor900";p="3024053 said:

It should be 500mm away from the house. the reason for using a proper soakaway or bit of soil pipe is to have the holes on the side facing away from the house ;)[/quo

the job is for BG, I am getting the boiler from british gas.

Juandan";p="3024084 said:

It should be 500mm away from the house. the reason for using a proper soakaway or bit of soil pipe is to have the holes on the side facing away from the house ;)[/quo

the job is for BG, I am getting the boiler from british gas.

then use their complaints department

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back