Condensate pipe into a soak-away drain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had 3 quotes for fitting a Worcester Boche 12 ri central heating boiler the best one appears to be a small company that does a lot of local work and appears to have a very good reputation. This firm were the only ones that mentioned the need for a pipe from the boiler to a drain about 10 feet away.
I have read up on this and it appears it takes away the polluted (acid) water from the boiler.
My worry is this.
the drain in question is not connected to the main drain system its a soak-away type drain for the roof drain pipe that soaks away into my front garden.
Am I worrying over nothing.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The condensate is about the same acidity as tomato sauce so unlikely to decimate your front garden, the soakaway is normally filled with limestone choppings which neutralise the condensate, either that or pay for a new drain to be laid in.

the rain water that comes in from the gutter above will dilute what little condensate water there is anyway, so don't worry

Acidity levels in ground water is likely to become an issue in the future as the nation's boilers all get swapped over to condensing... But that's a topic for a future thread :sneaky:

Sponsored Links
Acidity levels in ground water is likely to become an issue in the future as the nation's boilers all get swapped over to condensing... But that's a topic for a future thread :sneaky:

ph neutralizers?
probably find them getting built in to boilers soon i reckon.

Acidity levels in ground water is likely to become an issue in the future as the nation's boilers all get swapped over to condensing.
Depends where you live.
Large parts of Britain are on limestone and chalk, so no problem there.

I think you will find larger areas are on igneous rocks!

Although less people may live there I agree.

The largest proportion of the population probably live on clay anyway!

Tony

in Italy if a single boiler or a cascade of boilers exceeds 35KW input then a condensate neutralizer must be installed with a boiler interlock if the neutralizer becomes blocked

Large parts of Britain are on limestone and chalk, so no problem there.

Are you sure

Acid rain falling on chalk ground causes sinkholes, admitted it is a very slow process and the acid from a boiler is prpbably not going to create a noticable hole in our lifetimes.

How many condensates go to soakaways anyway? Less than 10% imo

Fair point. But even that which goes into sewers, and scaled up, will still have consequences in the long term in a society where everything is measured to the n'th degree (and has to be paid for)! :sneaky:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back