Condensate drainage in winter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The problem is the location of the boiler requires a long run of drain for the condensate in order to reach the nearest acceptable drain. At least 2 metres will be external. Longer it internal works are to be avoided.

Proposed solution. Comments please, Run the condensate drain pipe inside another pipe. Using a small fan warm air from inside the house will be blown along inside this outer pipe to keep the condensate pipe above freezing point.

The proposed fan is the type used to cool computor power supply units, 4 inch square 12 watt or similar.

Theory suggests that the small fan could be supplied from the switched supply to the CH pump ( heat only, not a combi ) to ensure the fan runs only when needed.

Sponsored Links
It is a new installation in a listed building where the acceptable flue terminal locations restrict the location of the boiler to the "un-seen" side of the building where there is no drainage.

Trace heating is one option,

Routing through the building would mean crossing a hall way about a foot above floor level.

Sponsored Links
Not a plumber or even a decent DIY sort of person but when i had my boiler replaced the new boiler was placed where the old hot water tank was due to no space where the previous boiler was situated.

The Condensate tube for this is just ran straight down the outside wall (with a bit of insulating foam around it) to some sort of pit buried in the ground.

Now i'm starting to wonder just want the plumber has done lol

Just looked this up.

Its a soak away hes put in tho not sure about the distance he put it from the house but guess i gotta trust him lol.

anyhow, with the last 2 bad winters never had a problem with the condensate freezing in the down pipe.

Maybe this would be a better soloution for you?

this was done for me as oddly enough my house has a entirely internal drainage system (except as small combined drain at the front for my and my neighbours guttering) and the boiler was no where near the main drain downpipe.

The problem is the location of the boiler requires a long run of drain for the condensate in order to reach the nearest acceptable drain. At least 2 metres will be external. Longer it internal works are to be avoided.

Proposed solution. Comments please, Run the condensate drain pipe inside another pipe. Using a small fan warm air from inside the house will be blown along inside this outer pipe to keep the condensate pipe above freezing point.

The proposed fan is the type used to cool computor power supply units, 4 inch square 12 watt or similar.

Theory suggests that the small fan could be supplied from the switched supply to the CH pump ( heat only, not a combi ) to ensure the fan runs only when needed.

I thought at first this was someone taking the Micky :D

I can't fathom why your installer cannot find an acceptable route for the condensate to discharge into

Install a condensate pump and discharge it into an internal waste system in the house

Simples :rolleyes:

2m external will be fine in 1 1/2" from inside to out. Or as said pump it.

The method being adopted is to use an ELV ( 12 volt ) PTFE insulated nichrome trace heating wire inside the pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back