Potterton Boiler/Heating Issues

Out of interest when I drained the system before I had turn off all the taps in the airing cupboard rahter than draining the tank/s in the loft
whats taps did you shut ?
and are you sure they are all open now ?

Sponsored Links
yes, they are all open now. The three I shut are the red handled gate valves in the airing cupboard. Two I assume are the vertical feeds from the tanks above. The third is on the bottom of the water tank.

try refilling by hose.
but im still not sure about that pump
have you tried it on both heating/hw ?

Yes, tried on both hw & ch, and on their own.

In fact I have drained the system a few times and got the same fault, so perhaps your right about the pump.

Off to try again shortly.

Sponsored Links
Oh dear, here we go again :rolleyes:

Filled for few minutes direct into the draincock above the boiler, then stuffed the hose down the pipe in the expansion tank. Bled all air from the radiators and fired up the pump. More air bled from the auto bleed valve so I fired up the boiler on HW. Fine for 5 mins, nearly started celebrating then the same problem ocurred. So i put the hose onto the draincock above the boiler and drained out some water. It was bubbling but I suspect this is air being dragged in from the side of valve. The water was boiling (literally!), same as before. Tried fiddling with valves, controls etc, but it does the same everytime.

I dont mind swapping the pump as its a quick job.... apart from that I am lost.

you say you fired up th pump and more air came out.
that would suggest the pump is doing somthing.

the only other thing that can cause circulation is a blockage.
as in the air seperator under the pump.
if you have a magnet try running it round the air seperator see if you can feel it sticking.

or drain the system, put a hose on boiler draincock and remove pump, put hose down the pump valve see if its clear to the boiler

I was starting to think about a blockage. The bottom of the expansion tank wasnt looking too healthy. The house/system is 10yrs old.

Perhaps I can try close off the valve in the airing cupboard, turn off the valve above the pump, remove the face of the pump and put the hose in whilst the draincock above the boiler is open? Just trying not to drain the system yet again.

I dont have a magnet, but I will see if I can get one.

Thanks again ;)

Well finally some good news!

After your last comment I figure that there might be a blockage just below the pump. I took the pump off and pushed a cable (it was the only thing to hand) down the pipe. I found that the valve directly below the valve wasnt fully open. The tap was sticking, so i couldnt open it fully. I have now replaced it. There's still a little air in the system which I cant seem to bleed but its working finally :D

so it was the valve in the end
smiley_128.gif

least you have got it working now
ok-wink.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back