Potterton Boiler/Heating Issues

Sponsored Links
you may need to opt for freeing that draincock.
or trying the hose pipe job down the cold feed from the tank.

So should the water flow quickly out that draincock valve?

Also, if i have to try the hose pipe method... how is that done?

Thank you for your time, hopefully I can get this sorted finally!

the drain cock should have a fair good flow on it concidering its only gravity pressure.
you'd fill a gallon can pretty quick.
what happens with them is like rad draincocks the rubber washer gets hot/cold over time then they jam in the end and when you release the end the washer gets stuck in the hole.

you could probably release the whole valve and have no washer on the end.
bit of a pain right above the boiler.

you could redrain the system and get a new washer and fit then you won't flood your boiler out.

or your hose you can stick down you cold feed in the tank and then open the hose flow and mains pressure can push the air out.

or drain the system and refill with the hose and the pressure can stop airlocks forming.

Sponsored Links
see you tomorrow then. same time LOL
funny-tiger-animation.gif

Latest update!

The bleed valve above the boiler now has a fast run of water, before it was just a trickle, now its clear that you could fill up the sink in minutes. I assume thats good news!

I checked the topup tank in the loft again and it was filling up again after the drain last night.

I let out around a sink full, then closed the tap and tried running the boiler - experienced the same problem. I let the system top up overnight and tried again this morning, still the same.

I was planning the hose trick later. I assume I can connect (when i say connect, i would be stuffing the hose into the inlet within the expansion tank) and turn on? Guessing that I would need to also open the valve above the boiler to allow any air to escape? (or would that simply bleed out the auto bleed valve?)

Not far off giving up now :(

the airlock may be in the other pipe.
you can put it down the tank feed pipe.
or you can fix it to the draincock and backfill it from there.

Sounds like the fill from the draincock is the easiest option. I did try before, but the water didnt seem to want to go in... or maybe i was just too nervous when the water started dripping too near the electrics of the boiler!

If I go with the other method of "you can put it down the tank feed pipe" where's that located? (or rather how do i do that?)

Thanks again.

in the bottom of the small tank find where the pipe comes out the bottom of the tank and put the hose in the hole. don't need to be forced in.
then just turn the hose on , no need to be full blast.

Ah, simple.

Just need to hold the hose and turn it on in the garden... hmmm... two people needed I think! I can see that easily ending in tears!
I'll have to get a mate round.

you can leave the end on the hose and control it by that or switch the hose on put it under the water level then take the end off and it won't spray everywhere.

or come up the vent pipe to the tank.

you can always run the pump aswell.
if you turn the temp down to 0 on the boiler and turn say heating or hw on the pump will run as normal but the boiler won't fire up and over heat

Well I have so far tried the hose down the expansion tank pipe and hose connected to the valve above the boiler (leaked all over the place!) - unfortunately still the same :(

So... if I can skip off work early i'll drain the system again and refil from the expansion tank with a hose down the pipe.

Out of interest when I drained the system before I had turn off all the taps in the airing cupboard rahter than draining the tank/s in the loft (seemed pointless to me) I assume this doesnt matter as there would be any air in such a short run of pipes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back