Potterton boiler problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm new to all this- I did post earlier but I've lost it!!!!! Sorry for my ignorance.

Anyway down to the problem. I have a Potterton Suprima boiler. I am having problems with the central heating system. When it is turned on the pilot light on stays on for a short time but then goes off. The indiator light flashes intermittently green and occasionally amber.The radiators are only getting lukewarm at best.

The hot water seems to be as normal. In fact when alot of hot water is used up the central heating kicks in and radators become hot again.So using hot water seems to be the only way we can get the radiators hot.

Is this an overheating problem? If so, what needs to be done?

Any ideas-we're very cold!!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Hi there

Many thanks for the reply.

I'm pretty useless at this stuff. How do I check if the pressure is on one bar? The switch on the boiler either has a Max or off indicator bit no bars in between????????? Is the bolier pressure somewhere else????

Cheers

Is it a sealed system or open vented i.e have you a tank in the loft?

I only know a few basics with boilers but hopefully the pros will be looking in for you and have you warm as toast. :D

Sponsored Links
fact your getting hot water is indicating your boiler is operating correctly, unless your using your immersion heater at present. Have a look in your airing cupboard and post what type of system you have got.
eg 1 three way valve or 2 zone valves (brass fittings on pipework usually with a plastic or metal head with a cable coming out of it.
Picture would be good if your technologically inclined

From what you have said, I would say you have a 3port motorised valve.
It is either not going to the CH position or if it is then a faulty micro switch is stopping the boiler from lighting from the valves orange wire.
When there is a demand for both CH and HW, the valve is going to the mid position and you get CH, but this is only until HW has been satisfied.
You have proved this when you run off HW and create a further HW demand.
The easiest solution is to replace the actuator head of the valve. This way you get new micro switches and new motor. This is assuming there is no wiring fault

I,d agree with Mandate,best bet at the moment is to pull the lever across on the valve to allow central heating to flow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back