Potterton Combi 80 issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I’ve recently moved into my new home and I am having a few problems with the boiler. A few days ago it lockout light kept coming on and the boiler was making a noise. I adjusted the regulator valve which sorted the problem and it was working perfectly for a few days. Today though, the boiler wouldn’t turnoff and the central heating went on max despite being turned off on the boiler - I turned the boiler off at the mains in order to turn the boiler off.

I presume the valve has gone. What valve will this be on the Potterton 80 Combi so I can order a new part and where’s is it located? Thank you in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
A quick update. I turned the boiler back on to have a shower today and it is working perfectly again. The hot water heated up as it should and the central heating stayed off.

Clearly there is still an underlying problem though and it is only a matter of time before it breaks again. Any idea what the problem is?

what do you mean by adjusting the regulator valve ? sounds like your DHW flow switch is sticking

what do you mean by adjusting the regulator valve ? sounds like your DHW flow switch is sticking
The boiler wasn’t turning off previously when the shower and/or hot tap went off and then the boiler was making a loud noise. This struck me as the pressure regulator valve needing to be adjusted as it couldn’t differentiate between the hot water being on or off. This seemed to work well and the boiler worked perfectly afterwards until yesterday. Interesting about the DHW switch, that would make sense. Is there anything I can do to confirm it is the DHW switch?

Sponsored Links
I looked up the DHW switch and this is what I adjusted. I turned it one turn which seemed to do the trick. Presumably you are referring to the electronic switch that attaches to this?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back