potterton HE 115 powermax A01 lockout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There,

Hi all - I'm new to this so I hope I am not starting a thread that's already been covered.
I've had a Potterton HE115 Powermax for 6 years, and despite all the negative comments I've read it's actually been brilliant. It's only suffered from a blocked hose to the primary expansion tank - cured with a Knitting needle - so not too bad.
Recently it's suffered from intermittent (every day or 2) A01 lockout. It always restarts fine on the reset button.
I'm not an engineer so I've limited myself to emptying the condensate trap which was not too bad and certainly not blocked.
The flame colour on full power is blue with an occasional flicker, but with a mirror I can clearly see the bottom of the heat exchanger glowing and appearing covered in dust or some kind of debris giving a peppered hot spot appearance.

I had it serviced 2 years ago so it's overdue and I'm sure the engineer never took off the heat exchanger door to vac it out.

Does anybody know if this is likely to be the cause of the lockout or are there any other suggestions?

If it needs a strip and clean are there any engineers watching who are familiar with this boiler and work in the Birmingham area who want to do it?

Sponsored Links
What does it say in the instruction manual for A01? If it is failure to light then the ignition probes love to wander away from each other and cause erratic ignition.

That heat exchanger is used on a few other models of baxi and probably the most reliable part of that powermax. The dirt you see inside it is common and unlikely to cause any problems unless it's a massive build up. Cover should have been removed to check at a service, checking the burner,electrodes and coil is good practice.

Pray you don't need a PCB for it. last one I fitted was around £500 I think. :LOL:

Hi nickso,

thanks for that, A01 is" failure to light eg no gas or no spark", and manual suggests
check gas supply and gas valve operation and clean or replace ionisation probe and lead.
Further actions suggested are check fan and spark operation, check flue for blockage, check condensate trap and tube.

If it's common for probes to drift I'll get that checked first and go from there.

Any other ideas will be gratefully received.

I'll lay money on it being the ignition probe. Especially as you haven't had it looked at for 2 years. If the gap is more than the thickness of a pound coin replace the ignition probe.

Sponsored Links
All very well but gas/combustion/ignition aspects should surely be only dealt with by a gas registered engineer?

Particularly as one of Nickso's colleagues was involved in a senario where the owner died!

My advice is to have this model professionally repaired and serviced at least every year!

Tony

All very well but gas/combustion/ignition aspects should surely be only dealt with by a gas registered engineer?

Particularly as one of Nickso's colleagues was involved in a senario where the owner died!

My advice is to have this model professionally repaired and serviced at least every year!

Tony

Completely different boiler to the range powermax

Yes, but that does not alter the situation that all gas/combustion related repairs should not be attempted by a DIYer.

Tony

These boilers have had a modified spark generator due to nuisance lockouts. They also have a known problem of poorly made heat exchangers on the early he versions where the sumps rot through and leak condensate and fumes. These are not diy boilers.

Hi all,
thanks for the advice.What years were considered early? - mine was bought in Febraury 2005.
It's definitely a Potterton not the Range.
Not wishing to stir up anything, but what happened to cause the occupant to die on the incorrectly serviced model and was ith the Potterton or the Range.
I can only imagine somebody left a gasket or seal leaking.

Hi all,
thanks for the advice.What years were considered early? - mine was bought in Febraury 2005.
It's definitely a Potterton not the Range.
Not wishing to stir up anything, but what happened to cause the occupant to die on the incorrectly serviced model and was ith the Potterton or the Range.
I can only imagine somebody left a gasket or seal leaking.

Irrelevant. Your turd is the latest incarnation with the decent H/E and no sump to corrode and kill you.

Hi all,

I've had the electrodes looked at and given a clean.
No large gap but slightly corroded.
It's been fine but I've ordered a new one to be fitted.

Many thanks

Hi all,

I've had the electrodes looked at and given a clean.
No large gap but slightly corroded.
It's been fine but I've ordered a new one to be fitted.

Many thanks
I cleaned my ionisation probe and it works a treat now. Easy job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back