Potterton Housewarmer Allure and Back Boiler.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is my first post and I have read most of the links on back boilers.

Like so many, I have moved into a house with the above system. The boiler is only eight years old and works ok. We don't want to replace it yet, due to the cost and I would be grateful for any views on the following.

I know I can't change/remove the front, because Potterton has told me so, but why? Surely if the inlet vent and the outlet vent are in place, ie, two holes in the chimney breast, what difference is there in the fire front being there?

On the assumption that it will have to stay, I may bring the chimneybreast out a bit, leaving a gap around the fire, to make it look more intergrated into the room (the room needs to be plastered anyway).

I also need to upgrade the control system. At the moment, there is no cylinder stat or room stat, so it is all controlled by the returning water temp to the boiler. As you can't have the rads on without the hot water, the rads turn off when the water in the tank is hot. The hot water system has no pump and relies on the hot water raising to the tank, the rad system is pumped. Two sets of pipes run form the boiler up the chimney breast, so I will use just the 28mm pipes to the existing tank and put a three way valve in the airing cupboard and pick up the read pipework from there.

As an aside, the entire house is piped in 15mm copper for the rads. I know this is not right, but it will have to do. I suppose it will get hot in the end. I am also going to add a rad in the living room and one in the second bathroom.

Anyway, thank you for anyone who takes time to read this and grateful for any feedback on the front fire removal.

Regards

Mike MS

Sponsored Links
Kev.

Thank you for the prompt reply.

Just for my own benefit, so what is the difference between a hole and a flue? Does the fire front somehow modify the air going into the inlet duct to the back boiler?

And I know this will make you all shudder with disbelief, but could I not just seal up the front of the chimney breast, dispensing with the front fire and just have a duct running from the outside (where the large air brick is) directly into the chimney breast, to feed the boiler?

I know the above shows a complete lack of understanding of boilers but I would like to understand more.

Regards

Mike MS

Sell the house while you still have the chance springs to mind.

The answer is no !!! leave the thing alone :eek:

Sponsored Links
mikems said:
Kev.

Thank you for the prompt reply.

Just for my own benefit, so what is the difference between a hole and a flue? Does the fire front somehow modify the air going into the inlet duct to the back boiler?

And I know this will make you all shudder with disbelief, but could I not just seal up the front of the chimney breast, dispensing with the front fire and just have a duct running from the outside (where the large air brick is) directly into the chimney breast, to feed the boiler?

I know the above shows a complete lack of understanding of boilers but I would like to understand more.

Regards

Mike MS

Were not hear to teach you!

We are here to give advice, which you can or cannot act on.

As with every back boiler, the fire forms a......oh, youve been told!

David

Thank you to all that posted.

As this was my first post, I can see there are many here willing to give their advice. I will continue to accept it and will not ask for any explanation in the future. ;)

I am sure there is a simple answer to my question and I will research it on my own, sorry if it appeared I was wasting your time or questioning your judgement.

Although I will take the comment about moving house with a pinch of salt, as I only moved into it 10 weeks ago.

Regards

Mike MS

I am sure there is a simple answer to my question and I will research it on my own, sorry if it appeared I was wasting your time or questioning your judgement.

Still not listening then.

How about getting a couple of europeans to doitall and sod the consequences.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back