potterton kingfisher lock out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

i wonder if anyone could help..the above locks out red light once every two weeks...no one can fix had x3 guys look at ......what is most likely reason for this ????

also confused re pilot...does that get started automatically with a piezo if it extinguishes..guess it must as it doesnt need lighting manually

i can see thermistor on the outlet pipe but cant see any other cut out switches....i am an electronics engr so ok with techy side if i had some directions advice

rgds John

Sponsored Links
The pilot is lit every time heat is required. Whilst you dont say which of the 28 models you have of Kingfisher, I assume its one of the MF.

There are several things which can cause the ignition lockout. Almost all are combustion related but it can also be a PCB fault as well.

You need a competent CORGI boiler engineer who has the skill to identify the cause of the problem.

With that kind of fault its sometimes necessary to start by giving the boiler a proper strip down service to eliminate any dirt related issues which can affect the pilot and burner.

The initial test to do is to measure the working gas pressure at the inlet! I wonder how many of your people did that?

One I recently went to was fine until the 60 kW pool boiler came on and then the meter regulator could not cope with the increased demand.

Tony

Tony

thanks...its a mf floorstanding 60 unit ...ok appreciate advice will get another guy in

rgds john

Tony

forgot to ask what trip causes the lock out ...ive seen x1 stat on the hot water out.......when you say combustion issues cause the lock out ..how is that detected...i assume there is a stat in the flue

its only a couple of years old and has done this since new...must be something fundamental ....maybe pcb is bad ..just driving me nuts

john

Sponsored Links
The PCB provides about 11 kv to provide a spark to light the pilot.

As soon as the pilot lights the flame is detected and then the main burner solenoid is enabled.

Most boilers go to ignition lockout if the flame is not lit within a few seconds however some like yours just go on sparking for ever.

I have probably given you wrong advice after being misled by your implication that it was an ignition lockout when you went on to mention the pilot.

The red light is probably only indicating an overheat shutdown. There is a thermistor in the front of the boiler. Its vitally important then the pocket is filled with heat transfer paste. For a start repack the hole and just once push the thermister in and fix it all in one go.

Dont turn the temperature control too high as its control range is too great. Try it about half way.

You should also measure the flow and return temperatures as the flow rate may be too low although the boiler should still be able to manage itself. It should have about 11°C differential.

Tony

Tony

ive done two things

1/ increased pump speed to max it was on min..its an external pump ..there was 20c difference across pipes now much less

2/ opened a shut by pass valve across in/out pipes that was closed

will see if that helps things main stat at mid way position so left that for now..would be nice to know what trips that lock out light ..is it just the x1 stst on the outlet pipe in the front?? if it comes on how do you know what tripped it??

rgds john

The bypass only need to be slightly open!

Anything else and it will upset the system.

What motor valves do you have?

Tony

i did only open a tad so i could feel some temp increase..theres still a temp difference across that valve so cant be full open

the motorised valves i have switches the boiler from the rads to the heat coil in the hot tank when that temp stat comes in

tks john

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back