Potterton Kingfisher Mf Cfl50 Boiler keeps going on lockout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Potterton Kingfisher Mf Cfl50 Boiler, sealed system, separate CH and HW valves.

The boiler keeps going onto lockout and I'm after some advice.

When reset and coldish it fires up fine. Pump goes OK, valves working OK, etc. After a few minutes the gas goes off and it continues circulating then fires up again after another couple of minutes. I assume this is normal and is because the water temp in the heat exchanger has got to the thermostat limit. Anyway this cycle goes on for a few times until eventually the lockout comes on.
The reset will only work when the water temp has dropped down again. Then it will continue the same cycle all over.

The boiler manual says that the boiler over temp thermostat and the Flue PTT(?) are the things which will activate the lockout.
I have tested the thermostat when in lockout and it has not been activated (should go from normally closed to open) and I have even swapped it out with another but to no effect. I have removed and cleaned the flue sensor and it is a normally made contact as it should be.

Earlier in the day I also saw a strange thing when the boiler was off because there was no call for heat. Then a call for heat fired up the boiler but it went immediately into lockout even though the water was not warm.

Any help gratefully received
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I forgot to say in the original post that in the past when I had a heating engineer in because I got occasional lockouts he told me to replace the main thermistor/thermostat which I assume is the device which is linked to the adjustable main thermostat temperature control.
I did this and it has worked pretty well ever since.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back