Potterton Kingfisher Mf RSL40-100 problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Potterton Kingfisher Mf RSL40-100 problem

The floor-mounted boiler sited in a detached garage will come on in the morning and work for approx 4 hours before just packing up. The red lock out light does not come on but any attempt to restart it fails. I’ve tried it on a “twice a day” setting to give it a 6 hour rest however it refuses to start later in the day for the second time. Left to its own devices it will restart the following morning.
My understanding of this boiler is that the heating will not function without the hot water also being on.

The whole system is due to be replaced in the spring with a new boiler sited in the as yet unbuilt kitchen extension. Any advice as to how we might limp through the next few months would be welcome.

Sponsored Links
My advice would be to retain the boiler bu upgrade the stuff connected to it to be more efficient. Have a client with similar setup to yours. He can stil heat water would would be a little difficult :LOL: With a combi boiler

Thank you for your reply.
I think the boiler will have to go, sited at the rear of a detached garage it's an inefficient way to provide heat and hot water to the property.
I'd just like it to get us through the next few months.
Baffled why it will start once each day but won't restart until the following day. See original message.

it sounds as though someone has been messing with the wiring, do you have a thermostat connected to your HW cylinder? I think you might and once this is satisfied then the power to the boiler is cut, when you cant get the heating to come back on try either turning this up or running some hot water off to cause a demand from the cylinder and see if this brings the boiler back on

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your reply.
Intresting as the day it ran longest, about 5 hours, was when there was a heavy demand on the hot water. it hasn't come on this morning and the immersion was on last night. Had a plumber call while the boiler was running and his brief appraisal was that the fan sounded a bit weak.
Fine if that's pinpointed the problem but don't want to throw parts at it only to scrap it in a few months. Bungalow requires re wiring but that will involve removal of all loft insulation, Brrrrr.

Better to have a boiler engineer and to pay him to diagnose the fault correctly!

Tony

Sorry, for my outdated terminology, it was the heating engineer from local plumbing company.

Re previous response. Can't see any thermostat on hot water tank with the exception of an immersion heater, the tank is so old it's galvanised steel. Room thermostat never gets closer than one degree below the desired setting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back