Potterton Kingfisher MF

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our boiler, 12 years old, carries on running despite being switched off on the timer and the thermostat turned low. It runs and pumps hot water even though the green working light is not on. I would like some idea of the cause to help make a judgement when getting quotes.

Sponsored Links
It may well be a stuck motor valve!

I am a little worried about wanting advice before you get quotes.

As a repair is likely to be less than £130 with a reasonable firm, its not a situation where any normal customer would be "obtaining quotes".

I suppose he wants five engineers to come round and diagnose the fault for free before giving their quote to do the repair ?

So he wastes FIVE hours of engineer time when only one will ever get the job and get paid.

Or he might dismiss them all and fix it himself.

With customers like this I am glad that we always charge for diagnosing faults. Only that way can we keep our charges low for our genuine customers.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Our boiler, 12 years old, carries on running despite being switched off on the timer and the thermostat turned low. It runs and pumps hot water even though the green working light is not on. I would like some idea of the cause to help make a judgement when getting quotes.

Most likely zone valve (if you have them) fault, allowing power to orange wire which activates pump & boiler. A timeclock fault would still allow power to be broken by turning down r/stat so less likely.

You say 'quotes', if you ask repairers for quotes for such a small job many will avoid you. Just ask for call out rates instead.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back