Potterton Performa 24 Eco HE problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a problem with the boiler. It's coming on but won't stay on. It extinguishes after about 2 seconds and continues to do this over and over.

I took the cover off and after some reading around, some mentioned it might be the microswitch. I looked at it and noticed that the pin was fully sticking out and stuck against the miscroswitch. With a bit of persuasion, I managed to free the pin so that it now retracts in and out without getting stuck. However, the problem still remains.

I did have someone out to take a look at it, but it seems that they didn't really know what they were doing and said that the heat exchanger has gone - I don't think that this is the case at all. The boiler is only about 3 years old. It was then suggested that it might be the air pressure switch and convent pipe? However, I think I'm being taken for a ride but I'm not getting on!

If anyone could help me I'd be very grateful.

Sponsored Links
So it cycles on/off every 2 seconds. Did you literally mean 2 seconds?

Does the burner definatly cycle on/off or could you just be hearing the fan cyling on/off?

That pin that was stuck against the microswitch may have been there for a reason, the pump will have been on so it probably wasn't a good idea to force it anywhere. Unless you were talking about the DHW microswitch (the one that rises/falls when you run a tap)

Either way I think the microswitches aren't worth looking at just yet.

Need more info tbh...

So can a melted venturi - but that is suspected to be caused by a faaulty thermistor - ntc

Sponsored Links
It turns on/off - by that I mean that through the pilot light hole, you can see the gas burners coming on. It clicks a few times, then ignites and then after about 2 seconds extinguishes. Cycle repeats over and over. This is when I try run the hot tap.

It turns on/off - by that I mean that through the pilot light hole, you can see the gas burners coming on. It clicks a few times, then ignites and then after about 2 seconds extinguishes. Cycle repeats over and over. This is when I try run the hot tap.

Does it eventually "lockout" with a fault light?

No it doesn't seem to go to fault. I've tried to hold to reset but it seems to do nothing.

Next thing i'd be looking at is wether or not the fan cuts out as the burner does. Could be the APS dropping out or a PCB fault. All guess work though i'm affraid.

Probs best get an RGI in now. I've seen people throw parts at a boiler in the hope it'll fix it and it ends up being something silly.

I suggest you get a competent boiler engineer who offers a no-fix no-fee.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back