Potterton Performa 24 lights intermittently

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help me? We have a Potterton Performa 24, on which we replaced the PCB a year ago.

In the last few weeks it has stopped working for no apparent reason, with no flame visible and no hot water or heating. If you leave it for a while then try again - say 20 minutes - it usually starts working again, but often only for 30 mins or so. But sometimes it works for hours then stops.

When it isn't workign you can try the hot water or heating and it kicks in witwh the whooshing sound but not flame lights. The flame failure light does not come on. THe water pressure is fine.

I called a plumber out and when he was here it worked fine so he didn not know what the problem was. He said it might be the venturi, so he replaced that anyway, and also fitted a new thermister (I can't read his writing). Then as he was leaiving it stopped worked. He then thought he knew what it was, which was fitting a new 'air pressure switch'. All seemed fine.

However it again stopped this evening. I found two similar issues on this forum
http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061002105254AAvaLNg
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=84642

However I don't think the pilot light is permanently on - but how would I tell? Not sure about soldering.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks very much

Sponsored Links
The most likely fault as you describe it, is that the pump proving switch is not reliably working. Often caused by dirt in the pump impeller.

As your boiler is now about 10 years old there can be several issues giving rise to intermittent operation. The venturi or API is rarely a problem on your model.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back