potterton pilot not woking on first lite then it roars......

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
potterton bck boiler,........pilot will not light unless i wave a newspaper infront of the fire........pilot eventually lights and then the back boiler lights....but there is a roaring for up to 5 to 10secs.......boiler then settles doown and heats water and rads ok.

the pilot will now,lite on auto???

gas,vv replaced with new unit but no improvement.......

any thoughts please.....

with thanks

adrian963

Sponsored Links
This is an easy fault for a competent rgi.

It is not a diy repair

Who fitted the gas valve

This is an easy fault for a competent rgi.

It is not a diy repair

Who fitted the gas valve

Local Plumber - currently away on a contract job......... so cannot at the moment get on with the job !!!!!

While i can manage to get the
Pilot to light first thing in the mornings..... the 'ROARING' sound that must be coming from the Burner/ combustion area concerns me......

With thanks for any advice

Adrian963

I would stop using the BBU untill you get someone to repair it there is a reducer that must be fitted when changing the gas valve on these and it sounds like it hasnt been fitted the roaring you are hearing is flame lift off or "lighting back" can be dangerous installing the reducer isnt something you could do yourself

Sponsored Links
It would certainly concern me !

Do you know if this "plumber" is actually Gas Safe registered?

This is a very simple boiler but the gas valve does have to be set up when installed and this needs some test equipment.

Tony

Also why do you have to keep lighting t
he pilot ?

The pilot will not lite at the SET time in the morning...... the Spark is there but it does not ignite the pilot....and cuts out........ie the LED on the User Control changes GREEN to RED......

I then press the reset button on the user control and lite the pilot by waving a newspaper across the front of the lower grill.

Pilot will now lite as req'd throughout the timed period- but WILL NOT

Lite for the next timed period-i now have to wave the newspaper again.....

with Thanks

Adrian963

I would stop using the BBU untill you get someone to repair it there is a reducer that must be fitted when changing the gas valve on these and it sounds like it hasnt been fitted the roaring you are hearing is flame lift off or "lighting back" can be dangerous installing the reducer isnt something you could do yourself

Stop using it !!!!!!!!!!! it could be very dangerous the reducer has not been fitted when the gas valve was changed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back