Potterton Powermax 155x - Intermittent Hot Water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some time ago, maybe a year or so, we had a small leak in our airing cupboard, which houses a Potterton Powermax 155x combi boiler. The source of the leak was what appears to my laymans eyes to be some form of sensor. Its a black plastic device at right angles to the pipe with what looks to be a wire coming from the end and going up into the control part of the boiler. The leak was very small and I managed to stop it by nipping up the gland nut, if thats what it is called. It may be from about that time that we started to experience problems from the hot water tap in the kitchen, sometimes the water would be hot and other times cold. No other taps in the house had the same issue.

Yesterday the leak started again, noticed by a spreading stain on the ceiling below. A steady drip was coming from the same place and once again I tried nipping it up, I was conscious that its plastic and didn't want the thing to crack so I haven't over tightened it . There is still a small leak, but manageable for the time being with a container underneath. The bigger problem though is that hot water is only delivered very intermittently, from any tap in the house.

I do have a PowerGen Heat Cover policy that covers the boiler, although they've told me its not an emergency they have given me a number to call tomorrow and a reference number.

I've looked through the plumbing and central heating forum on this site and tried googling for the boiler type and model. It seems to have a poor reputation and I'm concerned that the engineer tomorrow may something along the lines of "its a load of rubbish and knackered, you need a new boiler".

Can any of the engineers that use this site please point me in the right direction of possible causes?

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back