Potterton Powermax HE85

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone. I am looking to install a new central heating and hot water system to our house. It's a 4 bed, 2 bathroom house, built in 1930's therefore a half inch pipe running to the house from the main water supply outside. Pressure at the kitchen tap is 2.5 bar. Space is a bit of an issue (but not a huge problem), therefore my plumber is trying to persaude me to go for a Floor standing Condensing combi with storage unit. eg the Potterton Powermax HE85. I have had wall mounted combi's before (Halstead) and had a few problems so I am wary of combi's generally, but do I need to be still, given technology advances in recent years?

Is the Potterton Powermax any good? Are there better alternatives? I like the idea of having a storage unit built in in order to give better flow for the bath/shower, but am I going over the top for a house this size?

any thoughts gratefully received!

Ed

Sponsored Links
powermaxes can be trouble and cost a lot to put right if they go wrong, the electronic panels seem to give particular trouble. i wouldnt personally recommend you go down that route, if you have to have a floor standing boiler with a heat store i would be more tempted by the worcester hiflow 440.....they are a lot better than the previous models and im starting to like them...they go for around £1200 just now.

having said that i had a powermax for 2 years and i never even opened the case once.

Go for a vaillant 35kw combi & have an electric shower available for the rare occasional breakdown make sure system flushed if old or treated to remove flux if new.

Thanks for the Worcester Hi flow tip - does that have a store of hot water in it, like the Powermax? I quite like the idea of having the option of an immersion heater in the Powermax in case it goes wrong

Sponsored Links
it doesnt store anywhere near the amount of water the powermax does (id need to check the store capacity) and as far as im aware it doesnt have an immersion.

The 85HE is not suitable for 4 beds 2 baths

Go for the powermax 150HE (150lt) with built in immersion heater
almost silent operation I'd have one if I had the room.

I would go for the Worcester...I personally believe there are "issues" with the Powermax HE but have nothing other than anecdotal evidence as yet as they are relatively new on the market. I work for neither Baxi or Worcester BTW :confused:

i work on both powermax and worcestor i definately prefer powermax,,a damn sight easier to work on ,, and easier to fault find ,,

just my opinion zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back