potterton prima f50 wont fire up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi to everybody on the forum as this is my first post.
I have a potterton prima f50 boiler and it has just stopped working I have tried resetting it. The pump upstairs is running ok the timer upstairs lights up as normal. I have put the hot water and heating on continous and turned up the thermostat. I have removed the cover and checked for power with a multimeter its got 240 volts to the boiler i have spun the fan and that isnt seized. When i turn on the power you can here a relay click as normal but the pilot light doesnt light up all you get is a humming noise and nothing else. has anyone got any ideas on what is the problem or can anyone give me any advice on what voltages i should have where so i can try and diagnose the problem.
Many thanks in advance
Scott :(

Sponsored Links
Try testing for 230V at the fan terminals. Humming noise often points to the fan even though you can spin it.

Ok i will test the fan as i dont think it is running. would the fan not running stop the boiler from working.
Thanks Scott

Er... yes it would otherwise they would leave the fan out of the design and save a lot of money!

Tony

Sponsored Links
What i meant was would the fan not running stop the pilot light from lighting and the boiler from running for a liitle while as i am not sure how the boiler knows if the fan is turning.
Scott

The air pressure switch senses the pressure from the fan spinning and then tells the boiler it can go to the next part of the ignition cycle.

Thanks gas4you thats what i wanted to know.
After checking it last night the fan isnt running and the humming noise is coming from the fan. I ordered a recon fan of ebay for 27 quid lets hope it cures it thanks to everyone on the forum for there help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back