Potterton profile 50e boiler help

Because he provided no guarantee that it would work. He told me that in many cases the old boilers don't work when they are moved.

He wanted to do only the pipework if I did not want to install a new boiler. To be fair, he has charged me for for that only and the pipework is neat and immaculate with denso tape for ground runs and clamps on all vertical legs. He could only check for leaks before he left as it was quite late.

Now the original 5 core cable from the boiler has not been touched. It has only been extended with a new 5 core cable (new colour codes) to the control box (plastic junction box on the wall), which is still at the old location near the pump and the fused switch.

I now suspect that the live cable from boiler has been wrongly connected.

Sponsored Links
hi just reading your post, a common mistake when wiring this type of boiler is that the boiler requires a permanent live supply as it incorporates a pump over run device, the fact that the pump was not running when the over heat had tripped suggests that it does not have the permanent live connected

nice one ianmcd...

I am also thinking of same. I think the boiler has permanent live. However from the remaining 4 wires (5 core flex) from the boiler, one of them should be live for pump that governs the pump over. I need to identify that wire tonight.

I shall report back..

Thanks..

here is an extract from the manufacturers installa tion instructions for your boiler hope it helps you out cheers Ian

FIG. 24 ROUTING OF ELECTRICAL WIRING
Following the pump manufacturer’s instructions connect the
pump supply wires to terminals marked PUMP L,N, ‘ ’-on the
boiler terminal block. Route the cable through the plastic bush in
the rear of the control box as illustrated in FIG. 24 and secure,
using the cable clamp.
Route a four core cable through the plastic bush in the rear of
the control box and the cable clamp as illustrated in FIG. 24 and
connect it to the boiler input terminals as follows:—
Fully Pumped Systems.
Permanent live to terminal marked MAINS ‘L’.
Neutral to terminal marked MAINS ‘N’.
Earth to terminal marked ‘ ’ adjacent to cable clamp.
See NOTE.
Switched live from external controls to terminal marked
MAINS ‘SwL’.
If there are no external controls fitted connect the SwL
terminal to permanent live in the junction box.
Gravity Domestic Hot Water/Pumped Central
Heating Systems.
Switched live from external gravity domestic hot water control
circuit to terminal marked MAINS ‘SwL’. Switched live from
external pumped central heating control circuit to terminal
marked MAINS ‘L’. Neutral to terminal marked MAINS ‘N’.
Earth to terminal marked ‘ ’ adjacent to cable clamp. See
NOTE.
If there are no external controls fitted connect the SwL terminal
to permanent live in the junction box.
NOTE:
Ensure that the earth conductor is longer than the L, N & SwL
from the point of anchorage, so that the current carrying
conductors become taut before the earth conductor if cable is
pulled out of the cable clamp. When the wiring has been
completed close the control box and replace the securing screw

Sponsored Links
what sort of motorised valve have you got? My old mum had a Profile 100 and IIRC the 28mm valve controlled the pump.

Hi,

My valve does not control the pump. Its controlled by the boiler only.

Yesterday, I opened the boiler control board, found the connections for pump wiring there. Traced them all the way back to the junction box.

It appeared that the pump live was not fed to the pump but connected to the mains live, i.e. the pump was not getting any live.

Pump used to work when I connected it to live but then I lost the pump-over control by the boiler.

So corrected the connections and then tested the boiler yesterday a few times with DHW, CH and both. The pump + boiler performance is now satisfactory.

Very Many thanks for your time and help.

BUT it sounds to me as if the pump has not been correctly connected to the boiler so that it controls the over run.

Tony Glazier

Had you investigated when I advised you that it would have been sorted two days ago.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back