Potterton Profile 60 Tripping out any ideas?

• Thread starter Simonbeasley1
  • Start date
S

Simonbeasley1

I have a Potterton Profile fully pumped y plan system. The problem i am having is that unless the boiler stat is set to 2-3 setting the boiler trips out. Air is heard in the boiler or could be kettling. I have checked the pump which is on setting 2 if it is on 3 then i get pumping of water through the vent pipe. Because the boiler is on setting 2-3 it fails to get the rads heating the room up and the room stat is never satisfied.

at the weekend i intend to install a new pump and try backwards filling via the boilers drain off that is on the flow close to boiler. I have already installed AAV's just past the mid position valve on both entrance to hot water cylinder and flow to heating to try and remove any air.

If it is air how do i go about getting the air out of the boilers heat exchanger/flow and return. Do i do a system boil up by removing the thermostats (don't like the idea as part of system has a few plastic hep2o elbows 2meters past the boiler on flow pipework).

If it is kettling do i take the heat exchanger out and give it a good clean up. or is their a product by say fernox or sentinel that i can use.

This problem is really annoying and now the cold weather is set in its getting colder and the poor not well boiler is suffering. Any help would be greatly appreciated as i'm contenplating just installing a new boiler.

Just wanted to say that flow and returns are correctly positioned likewise are the vent and feed pipes before the pump.

cheers

Simon

Sponsored Links
may need a good clean out sludge etc

you won't need to go the the exstream of removing the h/e

whats the contion of the water in systen or the f/e tank in loft ?

thanks for your fast response.

The condition of the header tank is brownish colour water with an average film of sludge given the age of the boiler. I have left sentinel X400 in for almost a week about a month ago prior to a drain down for a towel rad install in the bathroom and the water that was removed wasn't too bad.

However come to think of it when i bought the house 2 years back and drained down the water, then was bad left a large dirty patch on the patio that needed pressure washing. would the X400 be man enough to remove the poss sluge build up if present.

I would say that the boiler was proberly operating with the pump on setting 3 causing the pumping over in the F&E tank prior to me buying the place. 2 years ago

what sludge remover would you suggest or have i got to look at a power flush? reluctant to throw money at the boiler.

thanks

Simon

i would use sentinel x400 or x800 .

you could always give it a flush through with the mains hose and a draincock open.
and remove the rads and give a flush.

Sponsored Links
The rads are all brand new so i don't think its necessary to hose them down. Whats X800 ? never used that one before. Will give it a go at the weekend.

X 800 is used with power flushing machines without the need to neutralise the system water afterwards. Sometimes called jetflow and used to be called Ferroquest,it's made by Sentinel.

I have flushed the system with X800, I have put in X100 inhibitor and X200 to help with the kettling.

i have also replaced the overheat thermastat.

so far looking good will see how it goes over the next few days.

simon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back