Potterton Profile 60E Refuses to fire up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
My sons house has a Potterton Profile 60e in St Albans

He is currently away working until 25/4 and his wife has an issue with boiler.

She is telling me that she has no HW or Heat.

Programmer is on Constant HW with heat off
Pump is indicating that it is running (Grundfos Alpha) so i assume that the correct signal is being sent to boiler.

Boiler apparently is making a whirring noise then a click.
She says she cant see any spark through view window.
Then it stops noises.

Can anyone give an indication of possible issue please? And if you are close to St Albans an guesstimate of possible costs to attend and repair asap please?

I will be visiting tomorrow to confirm issues etc. (travelling up from S Wales)
I do not intend to touch any gas equipment, but I am more than capable and qualified to test electrical signals etc.

Many Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
@hertsboilers is in her area and a schit hot repair guy. Don't know how busy he is though.

http://www.hertsboilers.co.uk

Expect around an hours call-out labour, costs. Depending on charging structure. Parts are readily available as. Long as its not the RW gas valve version.

No point you travelling from Wales this is a repair for a gas safe registered engineer but I doubt it will be difficult.

Last edited:
Thanks for reply Dan
wish i didnt have to travel. Daughter-in-law is a teacher and cant get time off etc.

Dont mind really. I get to see grand daughter and walk their dog.

Thanks for recommendation Ill call them to morrow

I cannot see any issues with you checking out the electrics yourself as long as you dont remove the main casing as it forms part of the balanced compartment. The gas valve solenoids, pcb, thermostat & air pressure switch are all located behind the plastic bottom cover, the fan is not but you can check if its got power at the fan pcb plug.

Sponsored Links
I cannot see any issues with you checking out the electrics yourself as long as you dont remove the main casing as it forms part of the balanced compartment. The gas valve solenoids, pcb, thermostat & air pressure switch are all located behind the plastic bottom cover, the fan is not but you can check if its got power at the fan pcb plug.

Thanks for your response
What is your availability to attend etc please? Are spares an issue?

cheers

Thanks for your response
What is your availability to attend etc please? Are spares an issue?

cheers
Sorry Im retired after 45 years as a gas engineer & living in the Costa del Kent. I would think most parts are available on the internet, even the white Rodgers gas valve is probably replaceable with the Honeywell one if Baxi/Potterton approved it, Im sure I did one a few years ago.

Last edited:
Sorry I misunderstood earlier posts
Thought you were in Hertfordshire
And only 45 years. You are just getting the hang of it

Thanks for replies.

Do you have any decent contacts in around St Albans?

Cheers

Sorry I misunderstood earlier posts
Thought you were in Hertfordshire
And only 45 years. You are just getting the hang of it

Thanks for replies.

Do you have any decent contacts in around St Albans?

Cheers
That was Dan who said he could recommend someone, good luck.

Just thought, theres a small round hole in the bottom of the plastic cover, stick a pencil in the hole to reset the overheat stat, worth a try

@hertsboilers is in her area and a schit hot repair guy. Don't know how busy he is though.

http://www.hertsboilers.co.uk

Expect around an hours call-out labour, costs. Depending on charging structure. Parts are readily available as. Long as its not the RW gas valve version.

No point you travelling from Wales this is a repair for a gas safe registered engineer but I doubt it will be difficult.

Hello Dan Robinson

Many thanks for the recommendation
Attended on time at 1 fixed within an hour

@hertsboilers will get all my sons calls when problems occur
Nice bloke and thorough

Cheers

Yes fixed
All happy in the house
They’ll all be sparkling clean and warm tonight

Your contact details also saved

Cheers again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back