Potterton Promax 15/2 HE Plus - Boiler locks out after 15 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I’ve had an issue with my boiler for several months now, as it’s getting colder now I would rather have this issue now fixed. (I’ve had 3 gas engineers out so far)

So the problem is that the boiler locks out after approx 12-15 minutes, whether it’s for central heating or for hot water it does the exact same thing, it then restarts after being off for around 15-20 minutes. (Cooling down possibly?)

When the boiler locks out you can hear the PCB clicking, giving the impression that it’s sending signal for the boiler to fire up, however it won’t start up, pressing the reset button doesn’t help either. At times in the morning maybe once every 2 weeks, there’s a flashing red light where the boiler failed to start, pressing the reset in this instance helps it fire up.

Things that have been checked so far is water pressure and air in the system. All is fine. Thermostat works fine also. Cleaned out the condensate trap. The water pump isn’t jammed either, when the boiler locks out the pump stays on for a few seconds longer before shutting down, I’ve made sure the pump is freely moving and I’ve tried to stop the pump with a screw driver whilst operating to see if the pump is weak, but it seems fine. The diverter valves are fine also.

The combustion chamber seals seem okay, there’s only a very small area that may look like it’s dried and crumbled. I’ve attached the pictures but my engineer said it’s fine and doesn’t seem to be the cause. The burner is sealed on fine also, as I know that could cause problems.

The last engineer suspects it could be a faulty pump, but I’m not convinced it is? He then reckons if it isn’t that then possibly the PCB.

Anyone else come across this problem on this boiler? What’s your advice please.

Attachments

• 90AE163F-4D76-4989-A6FE-3ABDC4DC8956.jpeg
    90AE163F-4D76-4989-A6FE-3ABDC4DC8956.jpeg
    212.8 KB · Views: 314
  • 3145280F-6EA4-4428-A93D-1920D7464287.jpeg
    3145280F-6EA4-4428-A93D-1920D7464287.jpeg
    174.9 KB · Views: 303
Sponsored Links
Obtain a different engineer or get heat team out. It could be several things. You're asking about stuff that's gas related to an extent.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back