Potterton prt2 thermostat replacement? Wireless?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, Im a bit of an electrical novice, but can the prt2 in the hall be replaced with a wireless equivalent of some kind so the thermostat sender can be moved into the front room?

The prt2 does work to a point, but more often that not for the boiler to kick in, I have to turn the dial below the room temperature and back up past it for the boiler to click on (suprima 40),

I would use the receiver in place of the prt2.

Im not sure if id need extra wires to support the connections to the wall base receiver.

Any recommendations on something which may fit also?

Many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
If your PRT2 is wired as below.....

PRT2.JPG

.....with a live to terminals (2) & (4)....a switched live to (3)....and a neutral to (4)

Then you can install a receiver in its place. You would need to buy a programmable thermostat (one that provides both time and temperature control) and then the existing programmer would need to be set to be 'on' 24/7 so that power was permanently maintained to the receiver.

If your wiring is different, post back what you have.

You should also consider the best new location for the thermostat. Here are some things to consider:

The room thermostat should be in a room that is not effected by other sources of heat such as an open fire, cooking equipment, or direct sunlight etc. It should not be somewhere drafty or too close to a window, especially one that's opened in the winter.

Secondly it should be in a cool room, ideally the last room to warm up. That way the other rooms will be warm enough, (but not overheated because of their TRV’s) before the room thermostat switches the entire heating system off.

The radiator in the room with the thermostat installed should not have a TRV fitted to it. Otherwise the TRV may prevent the room thermostat from working properly.

The thermostat should be mounted about 1.5 metres from the floor, and not close to, or above a radiator.

Preferably it should not be on an outside wall, (although if you have well insulated walls, this is not quite so crucial.)

It should be in an area where air can circulate easily, not in a corner, or hidden behind curtains, or furniture.

Thank you for the detailed reply.

I will check the wiring later, would you know why the boiler does not kick on straight away if it is below the desired temperature? I manually have to sweep it anti clockwise and back to its original posiition

I'm not too sure of the internal workings of the PRT2. Older mechanical thermostats do get inaccurate as they age because of the wear of their internal parts, the newer electronic versions don't tend to suffer the same failings. Although the PRT2 has an old fashioned dial, so I guess that's one moving part, I seem to think the internal workings maybe electronic.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for the detailed reply
I've taken a picture

Attachments

• 20190203_092020.jpg
    20190203_092020.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 1,111
So yours is the same then as the photo I posted. The only difference is that the red (live) wire is physically in 2 with a link to 4. In the photo I posted the red (live ) is physically in 4 with a link to 2. But electrically speaking exactly the same.

L = 2 & 4
N = 5
Switched live = 3

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back