Potterton Puma 80 water dripping from CH Temperature Sensor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Water has been dripping from the Central Heating Temp Sensor on and off for months, however is now dripping more or less constantly. Have tightened it slightly, which made a temporary improvement, but alas its back to a constant drip.

Sensor itself appears to work fine, however looks extremely scaled up/corroded around the joint with the pipe.

2 questions before I drain the system and attempt to remove it.

1) do you think its just the o-ring behind that needs replacing or the whole sensor if it is badly corroded and cannot be cleaned up

2) Any ideas where to actually obtain a replacement o-ring, and does anyone have a parts number for it? Can find the sensor on most websites but no-one ever seems to stock misc parts like o-rings. Does it have to be a genuine part of can I buy something similar from B&Q etc etc..

Thanks

Sponsored Links
For the price of it, get a new thermistor, comes with fibre seal and change it whilst drained.

Cheers for that - might just follow your advice, however can I just check Im looking at around £40 for a replacement - or am I barking up the wrong tree. From what I can gather the G.C part number is 337 322 and on the interparts website the o-rings are listed seperately, so dont want to buy the new sensor only to find I still have to buy an o ring hehe!

or if you really want to save the pounds then....

PTFE tape on the threads of the sensor and screw it back in...

not pretty but it works!

Sponsored Links
cheers superdupergasman - did think about that one, but with me being a relative amateur I was not sure whether I could safely use PTFE inside a boiler hehe! I am now going to give it a go though, if it saves me a few quid I'll be happy haha!

cheers superdupergasman - did think about that one, but with me being a relative amateur I was not sure whether I could safely use PTFE inside a boiler hehe! I am now going to give it a go though, if it saves me a few quid I'll be happy haha!

Remember and let the pressure off the system befre you go unscrewing anything or you will end up with a unwanted shower!! :D

They very often leak for some reason.

Rarely on the DHW sensor which is just as well as they are so difficult to reach!

PTFE is fine!

Tomny

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back