Potterton Suprema 80 HE started eating igniter coils

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have a Suprema 80 HE that has been pretty much faultless for years. Last December, it started locking out with an ignition lockout. Mostly on a whim, I replaced the igniter coil and the boiler was instantly back to normal service.

Then last week it started happening again, but since the igniter is less than a year old, I thought it must be something else. I did various voltage and continuity tests which all led to a dead igniter again. So I replaced it again, and lo and behold, the boiler is firing up first time again.

So, the question is, why has my boiler started eating igniters?
I have heard about problems with condensate dripping onto the igniter and ruining it. But wouldn't that have taken much less than 10 months to ruin it? Also, there is no apparent moisture on or around the vicinity of the igniter. I have also had a feel around the flue hood and can't feel any wetness.
Any other ideas? I was wondering if a faulty electrode might be putting too much strain on the igniter coil (much in the way that faulty spark plugs in a car can do the same). The electrode looks OK, but I'm not sure what a bad one would look like.

Many thanks!
Darim

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back