Potterton Suprima 30 - Replace PCB?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a Potterton Suprima 30 and reading the forums here, I think I have the famous PCB issue, but want to be sure!

The issue:
Boiler was working fine for 2 years, then 2 weeks ago we to had it serviced.
The week after the service, I started getting lock-outs about once per day.
Holding the reset button fixes it until the next day or so.

I have run the hot tap and waited for it to start up, & I see that it tries to start normally, but the flame doesn't spark up on the first attempt.
I can hear the 'ticking' as its trying to light, but seems to only light on the 2nd/3rd attempt & i think that the lockout may be because it fails 3 times in a row to light.

I'm asking if this is a PCB issue, as my problem doesn't seem as severe as some people on the forum, where it would immediately go into lockout.

I have seen that there may be other components which can cause this, but given that it does actually light after some attempts & i can hear the spark process, I want to be sure before getting someone in to replace the PCB.

Suprima 30 details:
Serial: AHHN 710 0086
GC no.: 41 607 75

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to give on this!!

Cheers,

ADE

Sponsored Links
2 weeks ago we to had it serviced.
Does that say you had to have it serviced or
you had it serviced?

If the former , then why did you have to have it serviced?
If it was faulty, but working OK when the guy was there, a service wouldn't necessarily have found anything wrong.
Also the charge he made, wouldn't cover any repair, unless it was the labour for a small part he saw while he was there, say.
Unfortunately, intermittent faults can be absolutely anything.
No, it doesn't sound particularly like a classic PCB fault, but there's no way to know.

Call the same guy back because he'll remember what he checked, so you won't have to pay someone else to check the same things, perhaps.
He might feel inclined to generous as you've stuck with him.

But don't bother trying to accuse him of causing the failure. A service can initiate a fault with a poor connection say - not his fault if it's not serviceable! You'll just waste both your times. Sorry if I sound suspicious, but people often look for more "cover" than they should!

Hi ChrisR,
Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply.

The boiler was last serviced in 2010, so we thought it was about time to have it done, plus we had the CH pump(scaled) & inhibitor(leak) replaced to the Boilermate II tank. So did it all at once.

It started shortly after the service, so i'm guessing that something was done to 'initiate' the issue, as you say. Probably the power on/off during the work.

I contacted the guy about the fault and asked for some advice & basically got the cold shoulder. I'm not qualified to argue with them about it anyway, but it would have been better them be professional about it and take 5mins to give some advice on what to do next, or at least respond to my emails.

Instead, I now have a problem I don't really understand and am trying to search online for help.

I don't feel confident about calling someone else in yet, as I don't want to be left in another 'situation' again afterwards. Plus i'm a bit annoyed that i have spent money on keeping the system healthy, only to have something faulty at the end of it.

Cheers

The symptoms you describe are leading me to think that the PCB is not the cause of the lock out, the service engineer should be contacted, as it has failed within 30 days of a service (warranty) I would be looking at the ignition electode, could also be a fault on the Gas Control valve ;)

Sponsored Links
Hi again,
I can actually see the spark lighting in the little window of the boiler, but the gas does not light up.

I guess it could be either the electrode is not in position correctly (after the service) or the Gas Control Valve?

If it was the PCB, would it be that the PCB is sparking but not letting the Gas in?

I think its not the case, because if I go outside after it fails to start, I get a faint whiff of Gas.

Cheers for help guys.

Call a qualified gas safe registered engineer out,no one will give you any advice on here on how to cure your fault. Sorry mate time to get yournwallet out again!!

He seems surprisingly reluctant to call a proper boiler engineer who could easily identify the exact cause and deal with it.

I have encountered apparently similar problems on that model and the solution is surprisingly simple ( but NOT a DIY job! ).

Tony Glazier

Hi,
Thanks for the help guys.
I wasn't confident in picking another 10/10 trader without doing research, given that the last one left me with issues...

The issue is now resolved.

I called an engineer and he had a look at the boiler for me.

It seems that since the service the electrode was not correctly adjusted. After adjusting it, it now lights up first time.

I'm guessing that the guy who did the service may have nudged it and caused the issue.

Cheers for all the help and advice.

ADE

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back