Potterton Suprima 50 not lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Potterton Suprima 50 fails to light after the ignition process starts the fan & activates the electrode spark. I measured 250v+ DC across the gas valve which, I believe, rules out the PCB.

I have been told it may be the gas valve solenoid, which would require the replacement of the complete gas valve. Could it just be a blockage in the injector?

Ironically, this occurs just 3 days after the CH comes on for the first time this year.

Sponsored Links
No the burner doesnt light. The electrode sparks & runs through restart 3 times...

By 'gas control' do you mean the PCB as well? This is relatively new.

no he just means gas valve which needs to be replaced by a corgi registered engineer as it will have to be set up for your paticular model ie 50 part number is 402550 i believe

Sponsored Links
...& is there no likelihood of it being a simple/cheaper blockage?
The part being some £125.

Can't you check the solinoids for lack of continuity giving you the assurance you seek?
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Well it seemed straight forward to me. 2 solinoids but built in the body of the valve. 3 terminal wires in line A, B and C.which can easily be removed (when power is off of course) and replaced . Continuity check using meter A to B and B to C. Or straight across A to C.
It proved to me one of the solinoids had failed so no point looking any further.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sounds exactly what was wrong with mine 'gas valve kaput' get gazthepottyengineer out to it, comes highly recommended. :p

Had a look at the gas valve terminals. 5 pins. 1 & 2 labeled V1, 4 & 5 labeled V2. 1 is neutral, 3 is earth, 5 is live & 2&4 were linked.

Found no continuity in any combination.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back