Potterton Suprima,burner not igniting at the specified time

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, this is my first post on this forum and wonder if anyone can help with a problem I am facing with my boiler.

About 3 months ago, my Potterton Suprima started making terrible banging noise with no fire igniting. Got my local heating engineer who fitted a new pump and all got working fine.

Last month, the burner failed to start when either CH or HW or both CH/HW was turned to "ON". The "Amber" light kept flashing on the Potterton Suprima boiler but no joy with the "Green" which indicates its switched on. My heating engineer replaced the 3 port Valve, which is a Drayton MA1/679-3 (mid position valve). This seemed to have fixed the problem and CH and HW all worked fine, and the "Advance" on button for both CH and HW worked.

Last week now, the burner fails to ignite when its due to come on at the programmed times, which is 6am and also 6pm. The Potterton Suprima light keeps flashing "Amber" which to me indicates it is waiting for a signal.
For some reason, when I ran a hot tap water or increase the room thermostat to the highest, the "Green" light comes on and ignites the burner. Both CH and HW comes to life.

The problem I am facing is that the Burner does not ignite anymore when it is programmed to come on, or even when the advance buttons are turned "ON" for either CH and HW. I have tried to run a hot tap and even increased the room thermostat to send a signal of some sort to the Potterton boiler, but no joy. (just keeps flashing Amber)

It seems the Timer is working fine & Time/date set are all correct, and it even moves the Drayton mid position valve correctly between HMW at its programmed times.

The only problem is that it doesn't send the signal to ignite the Potterton boiler. This is now a mystery for me and wondered if anyone can help me what the problem is?

I would be really grateful. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
The flashing amber light usually indicates that there is a demand for heat but the boiler temperature dial is turned right down to OFF.

As yours clearly isn't turned down it looks to me like it's a faulty dial or something else has failed in the main PCB.

For the time being you could try holding the reset button down for 10 secs, or maybe see if turning the boiler temperature control up and down brings it temporarily back to life.

Another engineer visit is on the cards I'm afraid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back