Powder used instead of salt. Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I filled the salt dispenser of my Zanussi ZDT 6244 with dishwasher powder by mistake. Realised immediately and stopped the machine.

Zanussi can\\\'t send anyone out until middle of December and are charging a fortune just for the callout. Will running the machine ruin it?

Sponsored Links
Wash out the salt container with several changes of warm water until you seem to have all the powder out. Don't use the machine for a wash until you have done this and it appears to be washed clean.

You can tip water in from a jug or kettle. Perhaps agitate inside with a soft brush. If you can put a hose inside to syphon out the contaminated water that will help rinse it.

Any remains of powder are more likely to cause a clog than to damage the water softener. You will know if it is worklng because, if not, you will get limescale forming on the heating element after a few washes. If the softener is workling properly and the salt container full then the heating element should stay bright.

Unless the dishwasher is fairly new, I would hesitate to spend more than £50 on a repair. You can buy a good new d/wr for £200-£300

Thank you so much. I hope Santa brings you lots of presents!

One last question. Where is the heating element?

Sponsored Links
I don't know your Zanussi, but on Bosch it is a metallic bar, about as thick as a pencil, running round the side and front of the base of the inside, bent back on itself, and just above the bottom so that it will be submerged in water when running.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back