Power Flush required? For New Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I want to upgrade my Conventional boiler to Condensing boiler, this is to create a bit more space and help on bills, my question is, will my rads needs power flushing before hand? and in order to save on labor etc ,is this something i can do by hiring the correct pump or shall i just leave it to the Gas engineer , thanks

Sponsored Links
it might just require a chemical flush but may need a power flush depends on the condition of the system, I would leave it up to the installer to do it as if you do it and it isnt done properly your boiler manufacturer may void any warranty until it is cleaned again, if the installer does it and it isnt right it is up to them to get it sorted

Ian i think you're right, It not worth the headache, plus the system is old with plenty black sludge in rads! while we are on the topic, with a budget of £800 what can I get for a 3 bed house (7 rads). Thanks again

you only stated that you want a condensing boiler, are you looking for a heat only boiler , a system boiler or a combination boiler ?

Sponsored Links
I would take your installer's advice for the type of boiler.

If you purchase the boiler yourself, there will be very few contractors prepared to install it for you. And those won't be boiler experts, so it may turn out emotional.

Generally, anyone who installs boilers for a living will have the equipment to do the system cleansing. If they don't have the equipment, they're not up to doing the job - unless you let them.

Me thinks that a budget of £800 to have a new boiler installed and changed from a conventional boiler to a combi is slightly optimistic :rolleyes:

Andy

hello Ian yes the combi boiler will be for heating and instant hot water, and my stated budget is for boiler only not including installation like one person assumed.

You need to give more information in your posts.

You also need to get 3 quotes.

Good LucK!

Andy

If your having a combi installed it needs to be sized to hot water requirements any make will be able to deal with the heating load.
Most manus do a 24kw 28kw 30kw or 35kw combi boiler the lowest output gives roughly 8/9 ltrs a min and the highest output roughly 15 ltrs a min of hot water.
This all depends on flow rate and pressure coming in to the property and how good a shower you like and how quick you like your baths to fill up.

Hi Ustaad as others have posted the hw delivery will be slower than a stored cylinder in normal circumstances but if you go for a higher rate combi then it needent be too much of a compromise, I would be looking at the Glow worm range at your price bracket, but others have raised valid points that if you buy and supply the boiler rather than the installer then the warranty mayl be compromised, sometimes it is better to get a complete package of supply and fit from a decent installer and you can fit and forget, supplying the boiler yourself might sound like a saving but at the end of the day might cost you

Central systems usually benefit from a powerflush as after years of use, they tend to drop rust and sediment in the radiators and boiler exchanger. Before installing a new boiler, it is recommended to have a power flush done and some installation companies may make this a condition of their guarantee. not doing it before fitting a new boiler is a bad idea.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back