Power Flushing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently had a number of problems with my heating system. Basically I can get heating upstairs or downstairs but not both at the same time. The problem seems to be related to the return pipe to the boiler which is just getting warm. I think that there may be a blockage in this pipe. I put Sentinal X400 in the system on Saturday and this if anything has made the problem worst.

Would power flushing work and clear the blockage?

Sponsored Links
X400 takes FOUR weeks to work!

But often you can see an improvement after 1-3 days.

Power flushing works if there is some flow everywhere. But the blockage may be a piece of plastic or something which will not be removed by power flushing.

Your assessment of where the blockage is may not be correct.

Tony

I do seem to have flow everywhere but only when I shut down upstairs will the downstairs rads heat up and then slowly. The same applies to the upstairs when I close down the downstairs rads. The pump just can't get the flow around the system hence my view that I have a blockage on the return. This pipe remains warm at the few locations where I can actual access it. I recently had the system drained down to have a new cylinder fitted. Then a further drain down to have a three port valve fitted. I think that this draining down has disturbed some sludge etc causing the blockage.

My view is that your pump is failing or has dirt in the eye or a blockage in one of its valves?

Have you done the finger test on the pump?

Have you done the bucket test on the pump valves?

Tony

Sponsored Links
You do not tell us what boiler/type of system you have.

If it's conventional with a seperate pump, try turning the pump up to its full speed setting.

If this improves things, either you have slight system crud or a pump starting to fail, or both.

Tony

Yes, even had the pump changed.

Also I now have a sealed system rather than open vented.

I don't think this is an air problem, but is down to physical blockage.

I can't think of anything else to try except for power flushing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back