Power HikVision IP Camera from LED Driver

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
That is a switch mode power supply mis-named as an LED driver. An LED driver has a controlled current output.

Will it be OK as a 12 volt power supply for a video camera ? That will depend on how smooth the DC output is.

Most switch node power supplies have switching electrical noise on the DC output which can cause interference on the video signal from the camera.

Thanks Bernard, that is really helpful. It sounds like it won't be the best solution then! Are there any other solutions where I can hard wire to the power from the security light?

Or is my only options to plug in the CCTV PSU indoors and try and route the cable through to the camera?

FYI - it's a HikVision DS-2CD2142FWD-IWS which needs 12VDC, max 7w. I've ruled out PoE as that will be even more difficult to get to the camera's location.

Sponsored Links
Are you sure ?
I certainly hope so! I haven't received it yet but my understanding is the final 3 letters in the model number HikVision DS-2CD2142FWD-IWS means (I) Infrared, (W) WiFi, (S) Audio, alarm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back