Power Shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had a new gas boiler fitted and there seems to be some difficulty in attaching back existing provisions.

We have a switch on a spur that turns on the power shower. Should this bring on the hot water system on the boiler please?

Thanks
James EB

Sponsored Links
They don't know and I am a very ancient disabled pensioner and I don't know.

Be glad of some help please.

JamesEV

Unfortunately your initial post is a little confusing to me, but I will have a go.
We have a switch on a spur that turns on the power shower.
First of all by the term 'power shower' I am assuming that you are referring to a pump that increases the pressure and flow of stored water to supply a shower. [Often this term is incorrectly used to describe the type of electric shower that heats cold water instantaneously as it flows through the unit]. A power shower pump should be supplied via its own dedicated fused connection unit with a suitable fuse, usually 3 or 5 amp depending upon the requirements of the pump.

Should this bring on the hot water system on the boiler please?
This is the bit that puzzles me. The boiler should also be equipped with its own dedicated fused connection unit also fitted with a suitable fuse as specified by the manufacturer. But the boiler will operate the radiators as well as the hot water, I'm not sure why you are singling out the "hot water system", unless you are referring to a immersion heater, which is independent from the boiler...

Andy's comment is not unreasonable, if you have just had a new gas boiler fitted, the installer will know your system and its components (we don't know this) and if he is having the
difficulty in attaching back existing provisions.
..then it would seem logical to me to ask him how it was before and what he has changed.

Sponsored Links
We need to know what boiler (make and model) have you just had installed, because it makes quite a difference with respect to showers.

A combination boiler will provide hot water directly from the mains, and cannot be used with a power shower.
A system or heat only boiler will heat the water in a hot water cylinder, which can feed a power shower.
An electric shower, (mains cold water in, likely to have a ceiling mounted pull cord switch and separate electrical feed (not a spur feed) can be used with either type of boiler.

Indeed. oldbuffer makes a good point. If you have had a combi boiler installed in place of a heat only boiler with a hot water cylinder, then he is quite correct, a power shower pump isn't suitable anymore, or indeed required. If that is the case, then the fused spur that used to supply the power shower and is no longer required, may have been used for the new boiler....but we are guessing here without further information from you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back