power surge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
recently at a bungalow which is having a conservatory added. This dwelling in a tncs. No circuits are rcd protected which is of concern. The lady informed me that the whole board was rcd protected previously. This was removed becuase of nuisance tripping. The spark at the time suggested that a "power surge" from the adjacent factory was tripping the rcd and in his wisdom removed it.
Surely this reasoning is untrue and the more likely scenario could be earth leakage from an appliance or neutral/earth fault...

any takers?

Sponsored Links
sounds like bullshit to me too

time to megger all cuircuits pat test all appliances

if you find the problem then a split load will probablly be ok if not then RCBOS are more sensible as they should help pinpoint the problem appliance.

i herd before that if you live in a house with a TT supply, and your neighbour also has a TT supply from the same phase and both houses are RCD protected, if you make a earth fault, it will trip your breaker and usually trips theirs. the lecturer at college also agreed it was true, altho i cannot see how it is. does any1 have a reason as to why this could happen?

Sponsored Links
are you sure they weren't refereing to voltage elcbs?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back